- Full Time
BirdNote, an independent producer based in Seattle, WA, has harnessed the positive power of storytelling to inspire people to notice and care about birds and nature. More than 1500 two-minute modules have been created since 2005, along with extended podcasts, videos, and blogs. Daily programs are distributed to 200+ public radio stations, reaching over 400 communities and an engaged social media audience of a half-million fans, and growing.
BirdNote Managing Producer
BirdNote seeks a skilled Managing Producer (MP) who has proven experience managing innovative media programming for a wide range of audiences on radio and multimedia platforms.
This position is key to BirdNote’s mission: to create sound-rich stories in a variety of formats that will inspire a growing audience to care about birds and the natural world. The MP will have a primary role in helping the organization reach its strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audio-listening audience, while ramping up BirdNote’s digital production to meet the demands of mobile consumers.
The MP will oversee production of the daily show, provide program direction, and manage an experienced production team with an assistant producer and 8-10 professional contractors. The MP will ensure that the distribution of programs meets deadlines and goals across multiple channels on public radio and digital media.
The Managing Producer will:
- Have primary production responsibility and decision making for the BirdNote two-minute daily program, meeting monthly deadlines and fostering a collaborative team environment that encourages feedback and review of audience data to refine content.
- Manage and work in concert with a with an experienced and growing team that includes production staff, up to 10 contractors, including professional writers, editors, producers and narrators, science advisors, and other staff, as required.
- Direct and manage new content, which includes actively pursuing collaborations with skilled independent producers for longer/shorter broadcast stories, extended podcasts and some video production; collaborate with staff and contractors on related content under BirdNote’s brand.
- Set production goals and targets to align with BirdNote’s strategic goals and measure against results.
- Ensure an audience/customer focus with data-driven analytics and metrics, including target audiences defined for growth and expansion.
- Foster an expanding digital focus that includes use of social media tools to advance BirdNote’s audience goals, following standards and industry best practices.
- Ensure that all facets of programming adhere to and advance BirdNote’s mission, strategic goals, business strategies, standards of quality, and scientific accuracy.
Approximately 37% of MP’s time will be devoted to the two-minute daily shows, 38% to the development of new content and 25% to team collaboration, management, and administration.
- BA or BS in journalism, communications, or related field; or equivalent experience;
- Proven experience in leadership, managing staff, and building an effective team;
- 3-5 year’s experience producing on-air and digital content with strong storytelling skills;
- 1-2 years of proven success developing material in multiple formats across multiple platforms;
- Knowledge of and experience with digital and social media;
- Experience and enthusiasm for building audiences and relationships with external stakeholders;
- Positive, self-motivated, responsible, results-oriented – a team player;
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications.
- Interest in and knowledge of birds and nature;
- Passion to help BirdNote realize strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audience;
- Enthusiasm to work with a dedicated team that places high value on quality, a work ethic that ensures the job is done well and on time, and willingness to go beyond the call of duty when opportunities arise;
- Ability to experiment and learn from experience;
- A collaborative spirit and a good sense of humor;
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours (with advance notice);
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
Hire contingent upon passing a background check.
To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter that explains how your skills, experience and interests align with this position. Include your salary requirements and at least 3 links to sample audio stories.