Platform Editor, ZORA
- Full Time
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Every day, hundreds of self-published writers and experts come to Medium to share their ideas and expertise. We’re looking for an editor who’s passionate about shaping these unique perspectives into compelling narratives for a wide readership on our existing publication for, by and about women of color.
This person should be passionate about serving this unique readership. They can be relied on to ensure Medium is contributing to the day’s conversation—or starting new ones—in a way that our subscribers find informative and valuable.
This editor knows great writing when they see it, but they also have a knack for making things better. They love to read and have a sixth sense for what other people want to read; they have a critical eye and can deliver constructive editorial feedback that takes a piece from good to great. They should also be obsessed with details and accuracy.
This editor has an eye for quality, is a skillful communicator, and displays excellent editorial judgment.
What will you do?
- Scour our network daily for excellent self-published writing focused on the lived experiences of women of color that deserves a wider audience
- Edit essays, explainers, columns, and other writing on these topics
- Establish and deepen relationships with writers and experts publishing independently on Medium
- Ensure that Medium’s coverage is relevant and informative
- Build a network of on-platform experts and writers
- Provide feedback and direction to our curation team as it pertains to women of color
- Bring good ideas to work every day
Who are you?
- You have a minimum of 3 years of editing experience in journalism and/or online media
- You are comfortable working in a startup environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day
- You can work quickly and juggle many stories, relationships and tasks at one time
- You intuitively understand what makes a high-quality Medium post about these topics and what doesn’t
- You have a reputation for establishing productive relationships with writers of different backgrounds
- You care about words and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.