Senior Writer & Managing Editor
3 days left
- Full Time
For this role, we will consider candidates based in NYC or remote candidates in the United States.
Let Grow is a nonprofit that promotes independence as a critical part of growing up. We believe that when children are as treated physically and emotionally fragile, we rob them of the experiences essential for their positive emotional development into adulthood. Through community-driven advocacy and education, we aim to make it normal again to let kids be kids.
Opportunity: Senior Writer & Managing Editor
We’re seeking an experienced writer and editor with proven editorial leadership ability to develop and scale storytelling that embodies Let Grow’s mission and voice. If you’re someone who excels at creating content that’s relatable, reasoned, inspired, and provocative, we want to hear from you. The successful candidate will develop editorial content that educates and activates current Let Grow supporters and recruits many more. You will tackle a wide range of topics that connect to the mission of Let Grow and childhood independence and resiliency.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Personally pitch and write 8-10 pieces per month with an evergreen focus that covers parenting topics through the unique Let Grow lens.
- Recruit and manage freelance writers and edit their contributions.
- Lead weekly editorial strategy sessions
- Direct the development of and contribute to multimedia initiatives including podcasts and video-driven stories.
- Keep close tabs on how our content is performing; utilize website traffic tools to inform editorial strategy and to make recommendations for potential new stories.
- Source and edit user-generated contributions from the Let Grow Community
- Collaborate with Let Grow’s Communications team to consistently brainstorm strategies and tactics for engaging our audience; work with Online Community Manager to optimize and schedule the publishing of content on Let Grow’s social media channels
- Utilize the most engaged online community supporters to source feedback and ideas for potential stories
- Occasionally speak and represent Let Grow at industry events and conferences
- 5+ years of experience as a writer and editor for a highly visible online publication, preferably in a vertical focused on parenting, childhood, or related topics.
- Genuinely knowledgeable and passionate about the topics and cultures (both positive and negative) that relate to our mission, such as free-range parenting, helicopter/snowplow parenting, unsupervised/unstructured activity, free play, social-emotional learning, and others.
- You have strong opinions and ideas on how raising independent and resilient children intersects class, culture, race, education, emotional intelligence, civics, or the many other topics that exist in our orbit. More importantly, you know how to turn those ideas into great stories.
- You are very familiar with the parenting content talent landscape and are eager to build a diverse group of freelance contributors.
- You have experience producing stories ranging from essential Q&A-driven articles to research and data-supported content.
- When necessary, you are able to effortlessly communicate and collaborate with communications, marketing, design, development, and other teams, both internally and with agency partners.
- Familiarity and proficiency with Wordpress, Google Analytics, and productivity tools such as Grammarly, Basecamp, Airtable, and Slack.
- HTML and content SEO optimization skills
- Experience working in small, startup-like environments is a huge plus
Please submit a resumé and cover letter in PDF format, as well as relevant clips.
Apply for Senior Writer & Managing Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly