- Full Time
WMUR-TV in Manchester, NH has an opening for a self-motivated individual who wants to win each day. We are looking for an assignment editor with a take charge attitude. A successful candidate will respond quickly and aggressively to breaking news and will have excellent communication skills. We are looking for a smart assignment editor who finds distinctive enterprise stories and oversees news coverage that sets us apart. This person will also write for our digital platforms.
- Listen to multiple police scanners.
- Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
- Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
- Assist producers, digital editors and reporters with story gathering.
- Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
- Furnish content and post it to all digital platforms, including but not limited to sending push alerts, Twitter and Facebook posts and writing articles for digital platforms.
- Must have experience listening to police scanners.
- Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms including social media. Successful candidate will be required to monitor multiple social media accounts in order to gather content and communicate with news makers.
- Must be familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
- Must be highly organized.
- Must have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
- Must have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high pressure breaking news and weather environment.
- Must be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be willing to work a variety of shifts including weekends, nights and holidays.
- Must be available for breaking news situations.
- College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field
- Military training and experience in related field will be considered