The US OTT Technology team is seeking a Manager, Live System Engineering & Reliability to support system engineering and operations technologies for the NBC Digital Operations Center for all event-based pop-up streaming. This position works with and supports the digital facility groups to bridge workflow between organizations including broadcast and digital groups. This position will be responsible for proper communication, reliability and resiliency of our systems, networking and associated hardware operations. The role will work closely with the Director of System Engineering to plan, support and interact with digital partners and manage the support and maintenance of such systems. Primary Responsibilities
Manage on-site presence and escalation within digital operations, broadcast operations and transmission on all events in a tiered fashion for 24/7/365 operationsMeasure and report out on system quality and performance, operational reliability and future roadmap to ensure 99.999% uptimeEnsure the engineering designs, plans, maintenance and other activities results in a safe and reliable Digital operationResponsible for the configuration, workflow and troubleshooting of all live event streaming to ensure maximum reliability for all productions Must have the ability to design, document and manage new technical Systems as well as workflowsOperational knowledge of scheduling automation systems and full end to end digital workflow from signal acquisition to end user deliver, baseband a/v processing and signal flowAid in design, documentation and management of new technical systems (hardware and software based) as well as associated workflowsBasic Qualifications
- Broadcast or Digital television engineering experience required with minimum experience of four (4) years in a broadcast environment
- Must have knowledge of MPEG 2 and 4 encoding and decoding, ASI, MPEG over IP, multi-way processors, matrix-based communications systems, plant routing systems, and third-party OTT devices
- Knowledge of HLS, DASH, h.264, h.265 technologies and systems for OTT delivery including metadata standards (i.e SCTE).
- Knowledge of open internet transmission with ZIXI, SRT and RIST.
- Ability to comprehend signal flow documents (CAD) as well as systems level troubleshooting.
- Must be proficient with broadcast test and measurement equipment in addition to MS Office, and Visio
- Excellent communicator and be able to manage highly technical operations teams while interfacing with Engineering, Operations, Production, and 3rd party vendors
- Ability to prepare and deliver written and oral communications of complex matters
- Ability to escalate critical transmission problems quickly and efficiently in order to minimize disruptions and ability to work around failures to mitigate interruptions to the Live productions
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, compile and deliver regular clear, concise reports detailing system performance and reliability
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure, topologies and protocols including IP Video technologies
- Ability to manage an engineering team, capable of supporting 24/7 technical engineering needs for live event streaming
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in Stamford, CT
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
- It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal’ s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Excellent communicator and able to manage technical operations while interfacing with Engineering, Operations and multiple 3rd parties
- Ability to escalate critical transmission problems quickly and efficiently in order to minimize disruptions. Ability to work around system failures to mitigate interruptions to live and on demand workflows
- Looking for a passionate, results-oriented, hardworking and operationally focused Manager to support the fast evolving and expanding requirements of live streaming digital video engineering requirements
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Visio, Windows, Linux, Mac OS and cloud-based solutions
- Development or demonstrable experience with both hardware and software troubleshooting experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Position requires a calm, level headed individual who works well under the pressures of “live” television
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.