Public Relations Administrator (media relations experience required)
1 day left
- Full Time
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer though research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing membership organization that operates in a results-focused work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes. This is an Alexandria, Virginia-based position that offers an excellent benefits package, subsidized parking or Metro benefits, and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn more about ASCO, please visit www.asco.org/jobs.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a highly skilled media relations professional to join our Marketing and Communications Department. The selected candidate will report to the Associate Director of Science Communications and administer programs for ASCO’s Science Communications unit to publicly communicate about ASCO’s meetings, journals, and research initiatives.
What you will do:
- Strengthen ASCO’s relationships with the media through the facilitation of reporter requests and media interviews, and by pitching story ideas and spokespeople
- Track and analyze media coverage to identify insights that will inform our communications strategies
- Produce a range of written communications materials, including talking points, Cancer Perspectives articles, media pitches, social media content, etc.
- Administer processes and logistics for Annual Meeting and thematic Symposia, as well as the development and implementation of related press programs
- Manage and execute social media promotion of Science Communications programs and initiatives following best practices for social media use and interaction, and ensuring accuracy of posts and content
- Maintain editorial calendar and administer development and distribution of Science Communications content across ASCO’s communications vehicles, coordinating across the department to identify content of interest to media and members
- Oversee media relations programs for ASCO's journals – including the production and promotion of News Digests and Featured Article summaries – working in collaboration with Journals staff, Committee volunteers, public relations counsel, the Editor, and study authors as appropriate
What you will need in order to be successful:
- A college degree, preferably in a communications or marketing related field
- Minimum 4-5 years related communications experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Media relations experience
- Experience with Drupal or other web content platform management experience, and media/public relations applications for researching media coverage trends
- Commitment to work within a team to meet timelines and deliverables with a strong focus on customer service
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, attention to detail
- Ability to manage own time to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work
Ideal candidates will also contribute:
- Experience in non-profit sector or professional medical society
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)