Director, Product Management
- Full Time
Director, Product Management, Hearst Television
As the Director of Product Management for Hearst Television, you’ll bring together your excitement for local storytelling with your honed skills in digital product management to help drive the product roadmap for one of the largest news and media organizations in the country. We own and operate 33 television stations and two radio stations, reaching 21 million U.S. television households across 39 states. Our stations operate web and mobile platforms which reach 30 million unique visitors every month.
We’re looking for a product management leader who’s no stranger to full lifecycle product development. You’re comfortable working alongside engineering and program colleagues to tackle challenges together and maintain forward momentum. You can swiftly determine which projects have the biggest potential impact and push them to an MVP. If you enjoy executing the game plan from start to finish, you’re the teammate we’re looking for!
Location: US-based with some flexibility. Potential locations include Washington, DC, New York City and additional cities on the east coast.
• Taking big ideas and breaking them down into strategic, accomplishable parts. You can take a blue sky idea and translate it into user stories and requirements, identifying the best path to an MVP and future iterations.
• Thinking ahead to the next steps before they’re here. You’re a proactive planner who thinks two steps ahead of the game and tries not to be a blocker.
• You know the value of collaboration. You build working relationships to get the best ideas and paths forward on the table.
• You understand the pros and cons behind build vs buy. You can work with internal team members to craft creative solutions to problems. But you’re also familiar with vendor landscaping, identifying players in a space, honing in on technical needs and requirements, and even negotiating terms with potential partners.
• You can pivot on a dime. As the local media space changes, you’ll adapt quickly and restack priorities to meet a changing landscape.
• You’ll lead and mentor a team of talented product managers. Teach them to fish. Invest in their ideas and success.
• Effective communication with a distributed team comes easy. You leverage tools like Slack for quick comms but also know when the time is right for a deck or video call.
• You’re a skilled data storyteller. You can use analytics data points to craft a vision that informs both how you’ll approach feature development, and how you’d present a big picture overview to executives and stakeholders.
• Comprehension of technical approaches to solve for product features. You can, for example, evaluate documentation of a third party API to understand if it meets a need, and then write requirements to interface with the API.
• Basic technical troubleshooting skills
• Domestic travel, roughly quarterly
Experience & Qualifications
• College degree preferred
• 5+ years of Agile product management experience
• 2+ years of people management experience
• Experience in the media space and understanding of content-based, ad supported business models is a plus
• Functional experience and understanding of a variety of platforms (web, iOS and Android native apps, OTT platforms, video streaming and playback)
• Successfully led the development of new products and/or have achieved exceptional results in a new product or feature launch