Assistant 2D Animator
- Full Time
Assistant 2D Animator
Team: PBS KIDS Digital
Status: Full-Time Hours/Exempt/Project (Grant funded thru September 2021)
*NOTE: For full considerarion, please include links to a demo reel and examples of projects in your cover letter.
The Assistant 2D Animator will work closely with the Animator/Designer, Associate Director of UX/Motion, and Digital Video Creator to create innovative and experimental content.
The PBS KIDS Digital Innovations Grant, supported by funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, is designed to significantly expand the functionality, innovation, and reach of PBS KIDS across a wide variety of TV, video streaming, and gaming platforms. Under this project, PBS will pilot new forms of children’s content with expanded distribution on multiple platforms, experiment with educational interactivity within television and streaming video content, and develop new station engagement strategies in support of low-income children, helping stations position themselves as leaders in digital innovation within their communities.
Essential duties will include, but not limited to:
- Assist in the production of promotional and short form content for the PBS KIDS Video app, YouTube, and social media platforms
- Collaborate with team members to create compelling educational content for PBS KIDS
- Participate in creative brainstorms and provide feedback as a member of the PBS KIDS Digital Design team
- Provide support on innovative, technical approaches to animation to produce engaging content
Requirements for success:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Animation, Illustration, Film, Design and/or specialized training in a related field
- Candidate must have a complete working knowledge of Adobe After Effects, Illustrator and Premiere
- Experience with motion graphics, 2D animation, digital design
- Some experience integrating animation with live action video
- Some experience with stop motion, Dragonframe, Adobe Animate/Flash a plus
- Ability to animate characters and objects with convincing, appealing motion
- Familiarity writing expressions and building rigs
- Ability to illustrate new art from concepts and rough sketches
- Ability to storyboard concepts from a script / outline
- Effectively convey animation and design concepts to a team of creatives
- Understanding of animation limitations across various digital platforms, including: web, video, OTT, mobile, gaming, etc.
- Understanding of the creative process in a collaborative environment; ability to incorporate both stakeholder/user feedback and design critiques
- Strong communication & presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work under tight deadlines; ability to multitask and self-manage the deadlines of competing projects
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities