5 days left
- Full Time
The Editorial Lead will work closely with AI Now’s Research, Operations, and Communications staff to develop a range of editorial outputs based on original research and aimed at public audiences. The person in this role will have editorial responsibility for AI Now’s reports (including our annual report), white papers, blog posts, and other publications across a range of core research areas such as algorithmic accountability, bias and inclusion, rights and liberties, labor and automation, and safety and critical infrastructure.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Spearhead production schedules for all AI Now publications, including annual reports, white papers, and one-pagers.
- Develop publication strategies to maximize impact and readership of AI Now’s research across impacted communities, advocates, policymakers, technologists, and members of the media.
- Support in-house researchers by providing substantive feedback on early drafts and final outputs, including developmental editing, line editing, copyediting, and proofing.
- Ensure publications demonstrate academic rigor, with an eye to legibility and accessibility.
- Develop and maintain internal materials on the publication process: style guides, pipeline schedules, a researcher handbook.
- Develop and maintain copy for other online and internal communications as needed, including presentations and web content.
- Steward multiple publications across the organization, between Research, Operations, and Communications teams.
- At least five years experience as a professional writer and/or editor communicating about complex topics to large public audiences. We are open to people with backgrounds in academia, journalism, writing and editing, etc. Masters or PhD preferred, but not required.
- The ability to translate between disciplines, and between academic research and popular media.
- Excellent writing and editorial abilities.
- Excellent research and critical analysis skills.
- Self-driven and able to operate autonomously within an organization when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work nimbly and respectfully across teams.
- Experience with project management.
- Attention to detail and deadlines.
- The ability to work full time on-site at our offices in New York City.
New York University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. New York University is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth (or related medical condition), sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, caregiver status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Please submit your application via our online form. Be sure to include the following:
- A brief statement of interest: in 1 page or less, tell us about what interests you about the role, and how your experience and background would enable you to contribute.
- Your Resume/CV
- Two writing samples in English (articles, blog posts, book chapters, dissertation chapter, or equivalent)
- Contact information for two professional references (we will notify you before we reach out to them)
Feel free to contact us should you have any questions about the position at apply+EL@ainowinstitute.org.
Data Protection Policy
AI Now strives to minimize data collection and limit use of data to the specific purpose for which it is collected. For job applications, we use a series of third party services to help store and organize applicant information. After our hiring process concludes, we save the minimal amount of data required for our HR compliance records and delete the rest. Unless compelled by legal process or pursuant to the applicant’s permission, we do not share any information we receive from applicants with any external person or entity. Should we receive any such legal process, we will attempt to notify the individual whose data is at issue if at all possible in a timely manner.
ABOUT THE AI NOW INSTITUTE AT NYU
The AI Now Institute at New York University is an interdisciplinary research institute dedicated to understanding the social implications of AI technologies. It is the first university research center focused specifically on AI’s social significance. Founded and led by Kate Crawford and Meredith Whittaker, AI Now is one of the few women-led AI institutes in the world.
AI Now works with a broad coalition of stakeholders, including academic researchers, industry, civil society, policy makers, and affected communities, to identify and address issues raised by the rapid introduction of AI across core social domains. AI Now produces interdisciplinary research to help ensure that AI systems are accountable to the communities and contexts they are meant to serve, and that they are applied in ways that promote justice and equity. The Institute’s current research agenda focuses on four core areas: bias and inclusion, rights and liberties, labor and automation, and safety and critical infrastructure.
AI Now is affiliated across six different NYU faculties: the Tandon School of Engineering, the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, the Law School, the Stern School of Business, the Center for Data Science, and the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences.