Design Assistant –RHCB
The Executive Creative Director for the Random House Children’s Books art team is seeking a highly motivated, creative individual with a desire to learn and grow in all aspects of children’s book design in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The Design Assistant will be a strong technical, organizational and clerical support to the Creative Director and will be exposed to all phases of book design, including handling original artwork and color correction processes for printing. You will assist with design projects from concept through mechanicals to final production for a variety of illustrated formats such as picture books, chapter books, novel jackets, covers and interiors under the supervision of the Creative Director.
The Design Assistant provides administrative and creative support to the Creative Director on a daily basis, and additional departmental support as needed.
* Assists Creative Director with design projects and design related tasks using InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator skills; assist with art, photo, font or illustrator research
* Prepares and prints materials for meetings, such as comps, sample layouts, organizational charts, schedules, or artist or design research
* Prepares print ready digital files
* Communicates in an effective, professional and courteous manner with supervisor, team and all departments
* Attends Production meetings, cover meetings and meetings with Creative Director and editors for specific projects
* Liaises on behalf of creative director with other departments or individuals to set up meetings and share information
* Acts as back up support to Offices Services admin as needed for billing, contracts, calendar items and other clerical tasks
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* 0-1 years in a publishing position, or equivalent exposure to the publishing process.
* Strong Mac computer skills and technical knowledge, including a mastery of current Adobe Suite: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator programs.
* Knowledge of MS office programs.
* Highly organized, able to handle multiple tasks, to prioritize and manage time efficiently.
* Strong attention to detail, quality and process.
* Exceptional professional written and oral communication skills.
* Willingness to take on responsibilities and demonstrates an ability to ask for support or help.
* Hardworking, self-starting and collaborative.
* Genuine passion for children’s books, illustration, design and typography.
* Highly creative and flexible problem solver
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process. When applying, please include your cover letter and website/portfolio.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.