Senior Social Media Specialist- #0037366
- Full Time
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and science and flight operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope. The STScI Office of Public Outreach is seeking a Senior Social Media Specialist to manage our full suite of social media accounts, including STScI multi-mission and Hubble Telescope-branded accounts. This specialist be responsible for the overall implementation of STScI’s social media strategy as well as day-to-day planning, execution, and analysis. This opening offers an opportunity to promote the science of two NASA flagship missions in a dynamic and creative way.
This position will collaborate with science writers, and video and graphics specialists to build original content, and is responsible for editing content for all channels in a way that maintains a consistent voice. This role will develop communities both internally and externally through social media engagement; update policies and best practices; provide metrics and analytics for measuring engagement; and react quickly to real-time conversations. This position also will identify stories suited to social media and share those stories in a variety of formats on the appropriate social channels. The candidate should demonstrate an enthusiasm for science communication. Science writing experience is a plus.
This is a three-year contract position with access to comprehensive benefits and retirement. This position could be eligibility for contract extensions. STScI offers flexible work schedules and a stimulating and diverse work environment. Relocation assistance may be available. Explore our benefits: http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits
Responsibilities will include:
- Creating and maintaining a diverse social media calendar as well as innovative themed campaigns
- Managing the contributions of writers as well as crafting original content
- Monitoring conversations and trends, communicating with followers, and responding to questions
- Tracking all metrics associated with social media engagement and growth, adjusting strategies as needed
- Reporting social media performance through analytics on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis
- Monitoring social media audiences, establishing and updating lists of influencers, and engaging with them as appropriate
- Staying current with all social media industry developments and standard methodologies
- Reviewing new social media technologies and making recommendations regarding potential benefits of joining
- Contributing to other science-writing projects within the Office of Public Outreach
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Detailed knowledge of social media strategies, publishing tools, analytics tools, and social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and YouTube
- Hands-on experience in content creation and management, monitoring, listening, tracking, and reporting
- Familiarity with industry standard management tools and third-party services such as Hootsuite, Sprinklr, etc.
- Ability to advise personnel on social media recommended practices
- Excellent knowledge of written English, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to prioritize workload and solve problems quickly
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally
- Ability to work in, and actively contribute to, a collaborative team environment
This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence to meet ITAR requirements.
To Apply: You are requested to complete an on-line application through the STScI website. Please upload a cover letter and resume on one PDF document for review. Applications received by October 15, 2019 will receive full consideration.
To explore other job announcements: www.stsci.edu/opportunities
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.