Content Writer and Editor
3 days left
- Full Time
Content Writer and Editor
The News Literacy Project (NLP) is looking for a full-time content writer and editor to assist us in our mission: ensuring that the next generation of news consumers has the skills and tools needed to separate fact from fiction and know what to trust, share and act on. There is intense public interest in NLP’s work, and we are experiencing tremendous growth. This is a great opportunity for you to help build an influential education nonprofit and to have your work be widely seen and appreciated, both by a public yearning for news literacy education and by students and educators across the United States and around the world.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An excellent copy editor with an uncompromising passion for clarity, good writing and accuracy.
- A fine writer with the ability to produce a range of blog items, op-eds, newsletters and other pieces.
- A news junkie with experience in a newsroom or a journalism-related degree.
- A critical thinker who is skeptical, but not cynical.
- A detail-oriented person who is so organized it’s scary!
We’re looking for someone who hits the ground running, is unafraid to experiment, and has a collegial nature, a sense of fun and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively. A background in education is helpful, but not required.
This position reports to the senior vice president of communications.
Founded in 2008, the News Literacy Project is a national nonpartisan education nonprofit that empowers educators to teach middle school and high school students how to sort fact from fiction in the digital age. Our central offering is the Checkology® virtual classroom, an online e-learning hub. Since the platform was introduced in 2016, 20,000 teachers have registered to use it in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, four U.S. territories and 109 other countries.
About the position
As NLP’s content writer and editoryou will spend about half your time editing external-facing content to ensure that it is accurate, readable and grammatically correct. The other half will be spent helping the team execute NLP’s communications strategy to raise awareness of our mission and impact, advance fundraising and constituent engagement, and amplify our message across multiple channels. You will join the communications team’s efforts to connect journalists, educators, donors, partners and other key constituencies to NLP and motivate and inspire them to support us and use our news literacy tools and resources. You will work with stakeholders across the organization to advance our work and support our strategic goals.
In this job, you will:
- Edit and finalize NLP’s public-facing content, such as Checkology®, the Sift and other newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, grant proposals, press releases, fact sheets, website copy and constituent communications.
- Help write and research mission stories, newsletters, opinion pieces, website content and other materials.
- Update and maintain media databases; track and score media placements.
- Assist with NLP events and the production of a new podcast.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates for this position will have all or most of the following:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- A minimum of four years of experience in journalism, public relations or communications.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to translate jargon and technical language into compelling copy.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- The ability to operate effectively under deadline pressure.
- Knowledge of mobile, emerging and social media trends.
- Computer skills that include the Microsoft Office suite (particularly Word, PowerPoint and Excel), social media platforms and Google Analytics.
- Experience in a virtual work environment (in terms of both technology tools and personal skills).
Note: Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is based on experience and qualifications. NLP offers outstanding benefits, including health and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan and more.
This position is largely virtual; ideally, the successful candidate will live in or near Washington, D.C., where NLP’s office is located. Other locations may be acceptable for a highly qualified candidate.
To apply, send a cover letter, 3 writing samples and a résumé to email@example.com with “Content Writer and Editor” in the subject line. Applicants who advance will be required to take a rigorous editing test.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. ET on Monday, Oct. 28 We hope to hire as quickly as possible for a start date of Dec. 2.
The News Literacy Project welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. We offer equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service or other protected status.
Apply for Content Writer and Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly