Senior Editor, The Root
5 days left
- Full Time
The Root is the leading news site for African American influencers, reaching 10 million readers per month, focusing on news, culture, politics, and entertainment, as well as other news of interest to a black audience.
About the Role:
The Root is looking for a Senior Editor of Content & Strategy to edit the daily output of its growing team. This is a key, hands-on position requiring a strong journalistic background in line-editing, copy editing, and fact-checking, as well as managing copy flow to tight deadlines.
The ideal applicant is super-curious, passionate, and can drive editing a site that is entertaining and engaging about issues that might, in lesser hands, come off as boring or pedantic. This role also involves instilling strong editing standards across the site, as well as mentoring and working with more junior editors and writers.
Our site editors have strong opinions; a witty, conversational writing/commissioning voice; and an unstinting editorial eye. You should have a hunger for black news and culture, as well as serving a largely African American audience. You should also have an amazing attention to detail and a strong journalistic background with an emphasis on editing—copy editing, line editing, and fact-checking.
As Senior Editor of Content & Strategy, you should:
- Have at least 5-7 years of experience writing and editing, primarily for an online publication, on race, culture, politics, and other related topics
- Be capable of planning and turning around stories ranging from short news pieces to longer features at a quick pace
- Respond nimbly to news events with related assignments
- Have an editorial skill set that includes fact-checking and copy editing
- Be organized, detail-oriented, and a careful editor and writer
- Be skilled with multitasking and working closely with our growing editorial team, including managing special projects and enterprise pieces
If you think you are the right fit, please apply, with a CV and a compelling cover letter explaining why you are the best editor for this role.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York City.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.