- Full Time
WCVB Channel 5, Boston’s News and Community leader and the Hearst-owned ABC affiliate, is looking for a Managing Editor for its nightly, live, half-hour news magazine program, Chronicle. Recently marking 37 years on the air as one of the Boston market’s most celebrated programs, the award-winning Chronicle is the longest running, locally produced news magazine in the nation.
Chronicle’s founding mission was to cover in-depth a broad range of local stories not likely to be featured in the station’s newscasts --- a mixture of investigative, enterprise, and feature material that would also showcase the best videography, writing and editing on Boston television. Chronicle has evolved over the decades to embrace a rich and diverse menu of stories on the lifestyle and culture of New England.
The Managing Editor oversees Chronicle’s daily content creation as well as scheduling the program’s staff of more than 20 people including producers, on-air personnel, photo journalists, and editors. The Managing Editor is also responsible for managing all multi-media content development and production elements. The applicant must be a driven and organized leader who is also an excellent storyteller with a proven track-record for writing and producing compelling, long form programming. The ideal candidate should have a deep knowledge of all things New England including the region’s history, politics, influencers (both well-known and less well-known), topography, and culture. The applicant should be a motivational and collaborative leader with a vision for successful multi-media content creation while incorporating the program’s signature tone and style.
- Daily duties (some shared with Executive Producer)
- Oversight of long-range program production, story development, and content creation.
- Oversight of story assignment to producers.
- Oversight of daily editorial content and show production
- Oversight of content creation for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and any other social media platforms that emerge
- Oversight of the preparation of a rundown and scripts
- Creating nightly format in ENPS
- Writing and overseeing the editing of nightly show open and bumps
- Oversight of the use of all our graphics resources to enhance our presentation
- Creating a daily piece for the afternoon Newscasts and a weekly segment for the Sunday morning show
- Writing anchor script for Chronicle show
- Overseeing the Chronicle podcast
- Coaching producers, reporters, and photojournalists
- Communicating effectively with all station staff
- Administrative duties include scheduling, performance reviews, training, and providing critical feedback
- Booth producing on a regular basis
- Applicant should have a significant track record of producing compelling television; management experience is preferred.
- Should have demonstrated experience in producing, writing, and ability to think visually.
- Have a deep understanding of the Boston market and Northeast region with a strong sense of audience desires
- Possess outstanding communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate several responsibilities simultaneously.
- Have knowledge of regulatory programming policies including content clearance rights (video, images, music, Fair Use policy, etc.), Drone usage, FCC Closed Captioning and Program Ratings rules, among others.
- Have knowledge of ENPS, various Adobe software programs, social media platforms, and BitCentral's Oasis and Precis.
- College degree in broadcasting, communications, production, or related field.
- Military training and experience will be considered.