Director, Business Affairs
- Full Time
Director, Business Affairs
Team: General Audience Programming Business Affairs
This position is for the Business Affairs / Production Management team supporting the general audience programming group of the Public Broadcasting Service (“PBS”). Business Affairs is responsible for all business matters relating to the acquisition of the general audience content, and for providing advice and counsel on a wide array of business and, in conjunction with the PBS Office of General Counsel, legal issues such as production and rights clearances.
The Director of Business Affairs must be a customer service focused team player who communicates clearly and proactively, seeks achievable solutions to issues and works with the Vice President, Business Affairs and the Senior Director, Business Affairs to structure and negotiate content acquisition and program related agreements that are consistent with PBS policies and business objectives. He/she is also responsible for coordinating overall project efforts with Senior Director of Production Management and the Office of General Counsel to ensure final documents accurately reflect PBS business objectives.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Negotiate production and license agreements with producers, attorneys (internal and external), and agents for the acquisition of domestic and/or international broadcast and non-broadcast rights in television programs and series;
- Work with Production Management in review of production budgets, cash-flow documents, and final financial reports;
- Work with Office of General Counsel to ensure proper contract administration;
- Review and provide internal advice related to program agreements in the PBS library and for PBS Distribution (“PBSd”);
- Assist in the development of documents and procedures that further PBS's business objectives;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- Qualified candidates must have the legal right to work in the United States, have a JD, and a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the television, entertainment or media industry.
- Basic knowledge of television guild agreements (WGA, AFTRA, DGA, AF of M, etc.) and their impact on the exploitation of television, home entertainment and digital applications;
- Knowledge of issues relating to international content acquisition, including tax credits and subsidies, and back-end revenue sharing arrangements;
- Experience negotiating, evaluating and administering production and content acquisition agreements.
- Ability to work effectively with PBS management and with various internal departments including programming, production management, finance, legal, PBSd, digital, marketing & communications, research;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, a good sense of humor and excellent organizational skills.
- Detail orientation and have demonstrated success in prior work;
- Ability to identify and assess financial factors and/or risk factors relating to projects under PBS consideration and advise internal management team on such risks;
- Willingness to identify processes and systems to help facilitate effective workflow of projects amongst various internal departments (including production management and legal);
- Knowledge of industry trends, including deal structure trends with respect to digital media and emerging platforms (online & interactive);
- Ability to juggle a variety of tasks and multiple projects and to adjust priorities on short notice; ability to meet production and/or transmission deadlines;
- Ability to manage internal and external client expectations on projects;
- Ability to work with management team in identifying deal structures that best meet current PBS goals, objectives, and strategies;
- Ability to grasp complicated grant and foundation guidelines in funding scenarios; and
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities