Senior Media Strategist
- Full Time
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Brennan Center’s work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from ending mass incarceration to preserving Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
The Brennan Center seeks a dynamic and experienced media strategist to work with our Media & Strategy team at the organization’s New York headquarters, a section of the Communications & Strategy department.
One of the Brennan Center’s primary goals is driving the national conversation around issues of democracy and justice. The senior media strategist will partner with attorneys, researchers, advocates, and campaigners and lead the design and implementation of comprehensive media plans around the Center’s marquee reports, litigation, legislative efforts, and other projects. The role requires a deep understanding of the news cycle, top-notch writing and editing skills, and experience working with the country’s most influential journalists, editors, and producers.
As a senior member of the Brennan Center’s media relations team, the senior media strategist will collaborate with program staff at the earliest stages of project conception and planning, developing and executing robust and ambitious media plans targeted at the national and regional audiences most important to the success of the project. When news breaks that relates to Brennan Center work, the strategist will ensure that the press knows as quickly as possible what our experts and research can offer. Reporting to the national media director, s/he will be an expert on the changing media landscape and will suggest new opportunities for promoting Brennan Center work. The strategist will balance multiple projects, tight deadlines, and changing priorities, all with the goal of helping the Brennan Center shape public opinion and build momentum behind our work.
Specific duties will include:
- Mapping out media relations strategies for a broad range of projects, reports, legislation efforts, advocacy campaigns, and litigation.
- Monitoring news media for opportunities to publicize Brennan Center experts, policy proposals, and research; developing and executing press strategies for such opportunities quickly and in coordination with experts and other communications staff.
- Writing talking points for Brennan Center experts, clients, and colleague organizations..
- Conducting media trainings, both formal workshops and informal feedback, for attorneys and other staff.
- Representing the Brennan Center's communications interests in coalitions with other organizations and litigation filed with co-counsel.
- Collaborating effectively with the editorial, digital, and design teams to ensure that the Brennan Center can benefit as much as possible from earned media attention.
- Maintaining up-to-the-minute records of media hits and share as needed within the communications department and with the rest of the Brennan Center staff.
- Serving as head of the media team when the Director is out of the office.
- Managing interns.
- Identifying new outlets for Brennan Center work.
- Cultivating relationships with reporters, editors, bookers, producers, columnists, op-ed page editors, and editorial writers.
- Drafting press releases, advisories, and pitches.
- Expanding the Brennan Center’s database of reporters and editors.
- Assessing news value of publications-in-progress; attending program meetings and otherwise developing. relationships with experts in order to identify items and ideas to pitch to the media.
- Conceiving, writing, editing, and pitching op-eds.
- Responding quickly and accurately when news breaks (and occasionally putting in night and weekend hours).
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in media relations at a nonprofit or in government required.
- Experience in journalism, publishing, or other communications work outside of media relations a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (don’t hesitate to send links to op-eds that you’ve drafted).
- Ability to work constructively and professionally across multiple issue areas and under deadline pressure.
- A deep network of journalist contacts (print/online, broadcast, podcast).
- Success in developing and executing media strategies for campaigns or projects that are high priority for the organization.
- Experience in spotting publicity opportunities in breaking news and landing placements as a result.
- Experience managing communications efforts that have multiple stakeholders with the organization and/or outside the organization.
- Experience using social media to reach journalists with breaking news and to build and enhance relationships with journalists.
Applications: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as exemplary candidates are identified. To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/VGDTJWGZE5/Senior-Media-Strategist Please upload the following application materials: cover letter (copy and paste where indicated), resume, and contact information for three references. In addition, please provide URLs to a total of three op-eds or news stories that you placed or reported, with a brief explanation of your role in its placement or production. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: email@example.com with “Senior Media Strategist” in the subject line, after registering in the online system. Applying through our website is strongly preferred.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Hires staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic identities;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.