About Your Role
As Senior Editor of The Balance Careers, you will oversee new content creation and improvements to The Balance Careers, a leading online resource for job-seekers and hiring managers of all levels and industries. Every day, hundreds of thousands of people look to The Balance Careers for advice on managing their work lives. You will help ensure we publish the most accurate and actionable information about navigating the professional world.
The Balance is the #2 largest site in the ad-supported Financial Services category with nearly 11 million monthly unique visitors in the U.S for The Balance, Careers. The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of employment best practices and a strong background in editing copy to create clear, informative articles.
About Your Contributions
- Edit copy for educational articles for The Balance Careers.
- Work with The Balance’s Editorial Director and SEO team to assess content trends and gaps in our corpus to determine new assignments.
- Fact check all stories and edit for flow, logic, and grammar.
- Make sure language is informative but doesn’t talk down to readers.
- Evaluate our corpus of 9,000 existing documents to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Identify opportunities to enhance written content with visual assets and interactive products.
- Create and execute projects that make large-scale improvements to the site.
- Communicate with and help coach freelance writers.
- Recruit additional freelance writers and editors as needed.
- 3-6 years of work experience in career and hiring-oriented publishing.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Collaborative but also thrives as an independent worker.
- Excellent project management, multi-tasking, and communication skills with a high attention to detail.
- Strong grasp of grammar and AP style.
- Demonstrated experience editing and working with freelancers to create informative, engaging content at scale.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong desire to help make people smarter in their career decisions.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Byrdie, MyDomaine, Brides and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a firstname.lastname@example.org account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to email@example.com.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.