Associate Director of Internal Communications
- Full Time
Required Qualifications (evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor's degree (foreign equivalent or higher). Four (4) years of experience in internal communications planning, internal communications writing, senior leadership writing, and project management.
Bachelor's degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in English, Communications or a related field. Master's degree (foreign equivalent or higher degree). Additional years (5+) experience in internal communications planning, internal communications writing, senior leadership writing and project management. Experience working within various social media platforms. Experience working within a CMS; such as OmniUpdate or Wordpress.
Brief Description of Duties:
The Associate Director of Internal Communication is charged with developing, implementing, and managing an internal communications program for Stony Brook University. Will write effective communications plans and messaging that support leadership initiatives and key strategic initiatives. This position will produce employee communication on a variety of organizational topics and ensures that updates are shared in a timely, engaging manner. This role collaborates with HR, issues & crisis communications, marketing, social media, web and other University functions to develop and share content across multiple communications channels to diverse audiences. The position is also responsible to build and implement a strategic presidential communications plan with emphasis on thought leadership. This position reports to the Media Relations Officer in the Department of Marketing & Communications. The selected candidate will have exceptional writing, editing and communication skills with proficiency to write clearly and concisely on complex topics for a diverse set of audiences.
- Develop a structural strategic foundation for internal communications that will be used throughout the University.
- Develop ongoing internal communications strategy and goals, including a budget, action plan, timeline, and measurement.
- Create and manage an internal communications calendar to structure the flow, timing, and coordination of communications, and increase the efficiency of current practices – in partnership with crisis communications, HR, Conferences and Special Events, marketing, social media, media relations, web and other departments and content managers.
- Write and manage Enterprise-wide communications related to strategic priorities/goals, SBU vision, and mission, and other important messages from University President and, when appropriate, other senior leadership. Implement a consistent voice, tone and personality for that align with SBU brand pillars/attributes.
- Assess communication tools and make recommendations for how enterprise-wide information is disseminated, including new technology and integration of communication tools/services across SBU audiences and locations.
- Manage communications activities and implement communication plans that promote and enhance the internal SBU brand and reputation, align with paid, earned and social campaigns, and build culture internally through the sharing of information, events, and stories. Implement and deliver internal communications projects, project-manage, and serve as primary contact and producer/coordinator.
- Internal newsletters – propose story ideas; develop production timelines; gather information from internal departments; conduct interviews with staff, write articles for and publish newsletters.
- Develop content for digital signage supporting internal messages when appropriate.
- Coordination of content with social media managers when appropriate
- Project coordination with other Marcom team members or external vendors, when needed, for successful completion of internal communications materials and deliverables; ensure materials are developed in a high-quality manner consistent with the SBU brands.
- Executive Communications/Thought Leadership
- Build and implement a strategic presidential communications plan with emphasis on thought leadership. Implement a consistent voice, tone, and personality that aligns with SBU brand pillars/attributes.
- Write and manage presidential communications, including speeches and presentations, related to strategic priorities/goals and SBU vision and mission.
- Research, write and place of thought leadership pieces and op-eds on major issues in higher education.
- Identifying and booking high profile speaking opportunities; develop podcast content concepts and amplification of content
- Media Relations
- Assist with media relations activities as needed including addressing queries; strategic message development; and monitoring media for issues and crisis/reputation risks and implications.
- Provide backup for other staff Responds as part of on-call staffing rotation.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University has been tobacco free since January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Stony Brook:
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University/Research is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage all to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: Staff Associate
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Communications and Marketing-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: Sep 19, 2019
Posting End Date: Oct 19, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with Experience within the range of $85,000-$105,000.
Salary Grade: SL4
Appointment Type: Term
For a full position description or application procedures, visit: www.stonybrook.edu/jobs (Ref. # 1903288)
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/zwcvz4njhn37q657