The Penguin Young Readers group is seeking a Designer/Senior Designer who will be responsible for designing and managing approximately 25 children’s books per year for Philomel Books.
This role will focus mostly on original picture books as well as interior design for young adult, middle grade and chapter books with additional experience in graphic novels preferred, but not required.
Philomel Books works to create books that enlighten and inspire. Our list has grown to include New York Times bestselling picture books She Persisted, She Persisted Around the World and Just Ask!; Ruta Sepetys’s internationally acclaimed historical fiction bestsellers Between Shades of Gray and Salt to the Sea; Lisa Graff’s National Book Award nominee A Tangle of Knots; Mayim Bialik’s Girling Up: How to be Strong, Smart and Spectacular; just to name a few.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Designs and manages all stages of book production—for picture books, covers and fiction and non-fiction interiors. Responsibilities include selecting and directing illustrators, managing materials for approval, maintaining schedules, coordinating with illustrator agents, color correcting, archiving final projects.
* Works collaboratively with all members of the team from concept to completion.
* Effectively & diplomatically communicates with artists and agents.
* Maintains and strictly adheres to production schedules.
* Remains current on art, design, and publishing trends.
* Takes a creative lead by bringing new ideas as well as expertise to the design team.
* Assists the Art Director as needed.
* Works with other in-house departments to ensure materials requests are met in a timely and effective manner.
Please apply if you meet the following requirements:
* Minimum of 3 years design experience working in a design capacity in children’s books; minimum of 5 years of experience to be considered at the Senior Designer level
* Deep interest in children’s publishing
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to manage competing priorities while adhering to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
* Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
* Advanced knowledge of Adobe’s Creative Suite programs, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.