Director of Content Strategy
- Full Time
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Chicago, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
In addition to a talented cadre of environmental lawyers, legislative advocates, and other professional staff, Earthjustice has a highly creative and savvy Communications Department that is tasked with creating top-notch content to educate and engage audiences. The Director of Content Strategy oversees the Creative Content team, which encompasses editorial, multimedia, and graphic design storytelling.
The Director plays a leading role in understanding both our broader communication goals and audience needs, and managing the team tasked with creating the most impactful content that brings the two together. This position partners with teams in Program Communications, Marketing, and Digital Engagement to identify major communications goals, target audiences and relevant user data to produce the most effective content for audience expansion and engagement.
The Director of Content Strategy oversees the production cycle of major pieces of content, from conceptualization to planning and execution. The position also works directly with project managers and informs promotional strategies to reach and engage new and existing audiences. Like all director level positions within the department, this role serves as a member of the Communications Executive Team, which is responsible for the overall management and performance of the entire department. The Director of Content Strategy manages a current team of nine, with three direct reports, and reports to the Vice President of Communications and Marketing. This position is located in San Francisco, CA.
Content Strategy (40%)
- Leads Creative Content team in developing powerful and engaging stories about Earthjustice’s work using various communication disciplines, including editorial, multimedia, and graphic design.
- Conducts high-level research and data analysis, including those on key audiences and their content consumption, to better inform the development of major pieces of content; Regularly shares data and learning with Communications staff to better inform decision-making.
- Creates and institutionalizes a system for tracking and allocating communications resource expenditures; Conducts periodic content inventory and audit.
- Co-leads departmental meetings on content strategy and quarterly planning; Oversees the production calendar of major content deliverables.
- Works with various teams to ensure all print and digital content adheres to the organization’s voice, brand and message.
- Oversees Editorial staff in the story development and production of Earthjustice Quarterly Magazine, blogs, columns, and other written content.
- Oversees Multimedia staff in the use of photography and long and short form video for storytelling.
- Oversees Graphic Design staff in the creation of major institutional print collateral and the development of visual brand standards.
- Partners with Marketing team in the creative direction and production of major advertising campaigns; Works with Marketing to identify new audiences and develops relevant content for new audience engagement.
- Collaborates with Digital Engagement team to optimize content creation and ensure a steady flow of high-quality content to the website, email, and social media; Works with Digital to craft robust engagement strategies to promote content to new and existing audiences.
- Serves as thought partner for Program Communications staff to develop right-sized content that most effectively meets programmatic objectives and wins over key audiences.
- Directly supervises the Managing Editor, Senior Multimedia Producer, and Design Manager; Indirectly oversees a current team of nine in the Creative Content team.
- Leads regular team and individual meetings, holds team-building events, and promotes welcoming work environment by modeling inclusive behavior.
- Conducts ongoing supervisory duties, including performance reviews, budget management, and timecard approvals.
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work culture.
- Develops staff by identifying and encouraging training and professional development opportunities; Acts as a coach and mentor.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Creates a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects.
- Ensures that any direct reports who have supervisory responsibility are properly executing those functions.
- Creates a respectful and inclusive work environment for team and models respectful and inclusive behavior.
- Promptly addresses micro-aggressions and other concerns brought to their attention.
- Resolves interpersonal conflict among team members and brings in outside facilitators as needed.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.
Communications Executive Team (20%)
- Represents Creative Content as a member of the Communications Executive team to spearhead and implement organizational policies and enhance coordination and planning across the Communications Department.
- Works with Communications Executive team to cultivate a positive and welcoming team culture within the department, and serves as a positive ambassador for Creative Content to other departments.
- Attends weekly staff level and director level meetings within the Communications Department and actively contributes to conversations on Communication strategies.
- Partners with VP and other Communications Directors to improve information sharing and learning within teams and with other departments.
Continued Personal Learning (10%)
- Participates in organization-wide initiatives and trainings that contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Utilizes internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- BA or higher degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related field.
- Advanced coursework, seminars, training in data science highly desired.
- 8+ years working in the following fields preferred: professional print or digital media; nonprofit/advocacy organizations; communications consulting.
- 5+ years of direct management experience supervising teams of four or more required.
- Strong familiarity with law, politics, environment and/or social justice issues desired.
- Exceptional leader with a keen strategic eye and an ability to clearly articulate priorities while incorporating data and learning into the decision-making process.
- Incredibly high emotional intelligence, with the ability to work productively across many different work styles and tackle challenges in a respectful and constructive manner.
- Excellent and supportive supervisor who models welcoming and inclusive behavior, fosters healthy team dynamics, and encourages continuous professional development for staff.
- Deep familiarity with principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion; demonstrated experience engaging with colleagues in open, honest, generative conversations on identity and personal learning.
- Outstanding organizational skills with demonstrated ability to maintain oversight and prioritize a broad range of competing priorities.
- Strong storyteller with familiarity with various creative disciplines, especially editorial, multimedia, and graphic design
- Exceptional management skills; proven ability to manage large teams, complex projects, budgets, and deadlines.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Management (Essential Skills)
- Ability to effectively manage and lead a diverse team with emotional intelligence (self-awareness and understating of the impact of their behavior) and cultural humility (an understanding of the need for additional learning about different cultures, backgrounds and orientation and implementation of that learning daily management practices).
- Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal feedback in a timely, constructive, respectful, and consistent manner and to incorporate debriefing into the team’s operations.
- Strong team mentorship and communication skills.
- Understands the individual and team strengths and areas for development and develops plans accordingly.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
Salary is based on experience.
Salary range for San Francisco, CA: $147,200 - $163,500
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via the Jobvite system via the link provided.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
or positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.