Editorial Director (Washington, D.C; Montgomery, AL)
- Full Time
The Southern Poverty Law Center seeks a skilled Editorial Director to oversee the organization’s content strategy, working with team members across the organization to develop the highest quality collateral – including print and digital material — that elevate the organization’s work.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the Editorial Director oversees a team of editors and writers who collaborate with colleagues in Communications, Development, Legal, policy and programs to produce content that reaches and engages targeted audiences.
Working with a team, the Editorial Director ensures the SPLC’s voice is consistent across collateral that is produced by departments organization-wide.
This posting is for one position that can be located in either Montgomery, AL or Washington D.C.
Primary Job Functions:
- Manages a team of more than a half-dozen staff members, including editors and writers, producing a high volume of content each week;
- Ensures quality control and consistency across all content produced organization-wide, including print and digital;
- Content includes blogs, development appeals, emails, magazines, newsletters print collateral, video scripts, etc.
- Serves as the principal editor for a wide variety of print fundraising campaigns, including direct mail acquisition and special appeals;
- Collaborates with leaders across the organization on large-scale projects, including developing concepts, content strategy and working across teams through production;
- Project management of content production as needed;
- Edit and/or write speeches, op-eds, and other materials as needed.
Related Work Experience:
- A minimum of 15 years communications work experience, with an emphasis in either agency, in-house or nonprofit;
- At least 7 years of experience in managing a team of more than a dozen staff members;
- Exceptional communications skills, including clear, concise writing and ability to frame complex issues for the media, supporters and public;
- Experience leading content development and production in either a newsroom or an in-house editorial team;
- Proven track record working across teams to design content strategy for a wide range of print and online publications;
- Substantial experience overseeing the development and production of content, including blogs, feature stories, enterprises, long-form investigative pieces, magazines, newsletters, email content, marketing collateral, etc.;
- Exceptional editing and writing skills, including drafting OpEds, web content, and other content as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Practical experience working with digital agencies/departments;
- Long and short-form writing excellence;
- Exceptional and flexible writing style and tone;
- Understands the possibilities digital media;
- Capable of imagining and collaborating on multiple campaigns and projects in parallel, on time and on budget;
- Proven ability to effectively work in a team of diverse individuals
- Strong organizational skills and extreme attention to detail;
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and public speaking skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.