Direct Mail Copywriter
- Full Time
The International Fund for Animal Welfare (ifaw) is seeking an experienced copywriter who has a proven track record of crafting direct response copy that produces results. This person is well versed in the craft of direct mail copy composition and is able to convey IFAW’s programmatic work, values and ideals through writing compelling, urgent and emotional copy that resonates with, and motivates, IFAW’s global supporter base. The copywriter is confident in finding the best fundraising angle in program reports and interviews, and is able to translate that information into simple, compelling and emotional copy. Additionally, this role works closely with artists – from concept to completion – on implementing copy and images into designs that raise funds while educating and informing the public about the importance of IFAW’s mission. The position also writes donor-focused copy for donor updates and acknowledgements.
Role and Responsibilities
- Research, conceptualize and write direct mail fundraising copy for one-time, sustainer, legacy and mid/major donor appeals.
- Comply with IFAW’s brand guidelines for copy and design and be able communicate them to external designers, printers and copy support as needed.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Work with artists on executing direct mail visuals. This includes choosing images, visualizing concepts, briefing artists, working with artists and IFAW fundraisers until pack completion, and handing off finished copy and design to Production for printing.
- Collaborate with marketing colleagues to review and evaluate the effectiveness of appeals, and recommend strategies to improve performance.
- Collaborate with programmatic colleagues to identify appropriate fundraising story content and potential.
- Responsible for keeping up to date on program projects and updates, and reflecting campaign goals through creative copy while meticulously fact-checking information to assure all communications are accurate.
- Write donor update pieces that are a blend of reporting and donor-centric updating.
- Assist with special projects as requested.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Minimum 5 years writing experience
- A strong portfolio with compelling direct response marketing copy and design that are simple to understand and emotionally engaging.
- Able to accept constructive feedback with grace and debate copy approaches collaboratively with the goal of improving fundraising.
- Has a collaborative nature and team-oriented motivation.
- Ability to translate often complex issues into easily understandable and motivating copy.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to, and familiarity with, animal welfare and conservation-related issues.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Advanced familiarity with Microsoft Word for writing, and Adobe products for art updates.