Ideas Editor, Forge
- Full Time
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
At Forge, Medium’s publication focused on personal development, we are looking for an outstanding ideas editor. This editor would tap luminaries across a range of fields to share their ideas, experiences, and advice on how to succeed and be creative in work and life.
Forge’s ideas editor will be a conduit for the voices of notable people from the worlds of entertainment, art, and culture; business and tech; academia and science; politics, diplomacy, and public life.
This is a role for an editor with significant experience working with high-level domain experts, industry leaders, celebrities, and creators. You don’t want the story that has already been done, or that everyone will do. You are always looking for a fresh way into the big conversations of the day. You know how to coax media-savvy people to open up, and help them to feel safe going off the scripts that they usually stick to.
An accomplished editor and writer in your own right, you’re flexible and can produce journalism in a variety of formats, from Q&As to profiles, as-told-tos to editing submitted copy.
You have excellent people skills, love working with writers, and can juggle multiple tasks and assignments.
What will you do?
- Conceive, assign, write, and/or edit two to four pieces per week—by or about or in collaboration with well-known people from various fields.
- Build a list of luminaries and notable people to work with Forge on a recurring basis.
- Maintain a calendar of upcoming events, book/film/TV show/album releases, and conferences, and use it to seek opportunities for collaboration with notable people.
- Bring new ideas to work every single day, and help colleagues develop and advance their ideas.
- Work closely with colleagues across our digital newsroom to deliver high-impact projects and themed packages.
Who are you?
- You are fascinated by the question of what it means to live, work, and be better, and eager to think innovatively about what personal development can be.
- You have 10+ years of experience in journalism, including editing conversation-starting, reported and idea-based features.
- You have a stable of excellent writers that you have worked with, or can approach to write for us.
- You know your way around the byzantine world of handlers, PR people, and gatekeepers, and how to entice highly sought-after people.
- You are a highly organized planner who understands that timing is everything.
- You are a curious and discerning consumer of culture, online and offline.
- You are at home in a digital newsroom and you engage with the process of packaging journalism for maximum impact online—from headline to art to SEO optimization and social strategy.
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator. You like to tackle problems quickly, rather than let them linger.
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere.
Interested? We would love to hear from you.
This position is based in New York or San Francisco, but we are willing to discuss remote work.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.