Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Journal Development Editor
Springer Nature is recruiting for a Journal Development Editor. This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of a dynamic and international team, with colleagues based in North America, Europe and Asia.
The Journal Development Editor role is ideally suited to a talented and proactive individual who is passionate about science, technology and publishing. Strategic thinking, excellent communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships are key to success in this exciting and varied position.
As the primary publishing contact for a portfolio of full open access and hybrid open access titles in the Mathematics, Physical and Applied Sciences portfolio, the Journal Development Editor will be responsible for growing and developing their journal cluster. This includes setting and implementing journal plans, supporting key stakeholders (Editors, authors, reviewers, and societies) as well as identifying and pursuing new relevant areas for growth.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with academic Editors, Editorial Boards, society executives and other key contacts in the field, with the aim of building and maintaining our journals’ reputations and increasing submissions; organize and host Editorial Board meetings
- Build knowledge of the field and the relevant scientific communities to identify journal development opportunities and translate them into actions to maintain a competitive advantage. This will involve engaging with senior scientists and obtaining their advice.
- Represent the company at local and international conferences to improve market knowledge, network within the community and to receive feedback and promote our journals
- Produce and implement strategic development plans for the journals, in line with company strategy
- Plan and drive the commissioning of content, including proactively suggesting topics
- Ensure journals receive appropriate representation in indexing services, including selective services
- Monitor submissions, publications and peer-review performance for the portfolio and assist colleagues in dealing with author queries or problem manuscripts
- Ensure journals are promoted through all relevant avenues
- Handle contract renewals and negotiations
- Work with other team members to identify opportunities for acquiring journals
- Other duties as required by manager
Experience, skills and qualifications:
- Educated to degree level within a relevant scientific area
- Knowledge of journal publishing processes and related matters, and understanding of and interest in open access publishing
- Highly customer-focused, with excellent communication and influencing skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Experience of developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based researchers
- Strong time management, prioritization and organizational skills; including proven ability to take ownership to drive and complete tasks, to consistently meet deadlines, and adapt quickly to change
- Excellent critical appraisal, analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail/high accuracy, proven high level of computer literacy
- Willing to travel and represent the company at internal and external events
- Developed knowledge of the applied sciences or engineering field/s
- Previous experience working in the publishing industry
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.