Part time Print Curator I, AJC
- Part Time
This is a part-time position. The successful candidate will select the strongest and most appropriate content for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, ensuring that all decisions are closely aligned with the reader research. Responsibilities include “booking” section fronts, including A1; communicating with the Atlanta newsroom to coordinate planned late coverage and late-breaking news; and selecting and editing wire stories. Responsibilities also include copy editing and design. Must be able to handle a variety of tasks with minimal supervision.
Identify and select the strongest local content from our digital platforms for use in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s printed newspaper.
• Rank content for print based on its importance, following the reader research, and book section fronts and suggest packaging.
• Work closely with content creators in the newsroom advance print content plans.
• Manage ePaper and any ePaper-specific bonus content.
• Coordinate planned late coverage and late-breaking news.
• Write rail items, skybox teases and promos.
• Adapt our digital content for a printed format, such as turning a slideshow into an ASF, adding appropriate context and background, when required, and correcting elements that don’t translate from digital.
• Identify ASFs, breakout boxes and process storytelling opportunities.
• Manage print-only content that does not appear on our digital platforms.
Identify, select and edit wire content.
• Curate wire content for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s news, sports, business and lifestyle sections, as needed, remaining mindful of balance and bias and the reader research.
• Assemble briefs packages, as needed.
Edit copy for final publication; review in-house and selected outsourced pages before they are output.
• Review copy for accuracy, spelling, grammar, style, clarity, fairness and taste. Make corrections and revisions as needed.
• Trim stories as needed while maintaining their integrity.
• Prioritize tasks and spend appropriate time on tasks with minimal supervision.
• Write headlines to convey the most interesting and important aspects of each story.
• Write photo captions that provide supplemental information.
• Raise concerns of bias, libel and slander.
• Read page proofs and graphics, and make appropriate corrections.
Design pages, using software, that effectively presents editorial content, reflecting the order of importance of the stories
• Design inside pages and section fronts, ensuring that the organization and presentation of information clearly leads readers through the page.
• Demonstrate basic news judgment, providing input in news, photos, headlines and overall play.
• Edit both copy and visual elements.
• Maintain and update design standards
• Publish to ePaper, including ePaper extras.Qualifications:Education: Bachelor’s degree (preferred) or equivalent experience.
Yrs & Type of Experience: At least 5 years’ experience as a copy editor, wire editor, designer or “bridge” editor/curator.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.