Program Manager (Contractor)
- Full Time
Team: Multiplatform Marketing and Content
Status: Full-time, Contractor, funded through June 2020
Note: The individual selected for this role will not be employed directly by PBS. The incumbent will be hired by a staffing firm as a contractor under the instruction of PBS.
PBS takes a multiplatform approach to content development, distribution, and marketing. This not only includes engaging audiences via broadcast television, but also on digital platforms. This content-focused position, split between program management (75%) and production (25%), supports the growth of the digital, social and broadcast audiences, which include initiatives to increase engagement, average video streams and streaming duration as well as time on site, and also supports the leveraging of PBS digital and social platforms and content to benefit member stations.
The Program Manager is responsible for providing strategic and tactical guidance across the general audience program websites and digital video experiences for assigned series and programs (75%). This position collaborates across departmental teams (including marketing, programming, legal and others) as well as with other groups within PBS Digital & Marketing (operations/support, product, design, etc.) and with broadcast and digital producers at all stages of the site life cycle.
Additionally, this position manages the online portfolio for Ken Burns archive film sites (25%). The Program manager works closely with other members of the PBS Multiplatform Marketing and Content team to determine the priority and order of Ken Burns site migrations; gathers and updates all site assets, as required; and rebuilds archive sites in a modern platform to ensure continued availability of PBS' digital content.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the day to day liaison between national producers and PBS MM&C team
- Manage the full lifecycle of assigned producer-built program support sites, from asset-gathering and acceptance, to site build-out, promotion and maintenance
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the PBS digital publishing process and tools and use this to inform production timelines
- Manage assigned program sites’ content promotional schedule and tactics to support PBS MM&C objectives for digital video streaming and broadcast tune-in
- Ensure that production follows PBS production requirements, including technical and editorial standards
- Support communications from PBS MM&C and Product teams to assigned producers
- Collaborate with PBS MM&C staff and producers to grow traffic and engagement to content by adopting user experience, information architecture and SEO best practices
- Collaborate closely with the Digital Support team to ensure that producers are on-boarded and utilizing designated support systems
- Maintain knowledge of website and online video traffic trends and use findings to make data-driven decisions about editorial content
Requirements for success:
- 4+ years’ experience in digital publishing or media production; with experience in interactive media production, mobile web, or native app development
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in media, journalism, communications or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience in digital content production and project management
- Experience working on cross-functional teams including creative, technical, business affairs and marketing staff
- Successful management of high-profile and sensitive relationships
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams and with all levels of staff
- Ability to plan, prioritize and execute on several assignments at the same time;
- Ability to review and modify database content and administrative interfaces/content management systems and analytics tools
- Working knowledge of web development technologies and the opportunities they afford
- Familiarity with SEO, analytics, metadata creation; eagerness to learn best practices
- Familiarity with responsive design principles
- Familiarity with accessibility principles and standards
- Familiarity with issue tracking software, project management software and team collaboration software
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Resourceful, self-directed and flexible team player
- Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with all levels of management
- Exceptional communication skills; sound editorial judgement
- Proven time management and project management skills, effectively meeting deadlines as priorities evolve and shift
- Understanding of, and appreciation for, the convergence of broadcast and digital content
- Digital media experience preferred; previous public media experience a plus.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities