NBC Sports Washington is looking for a dynamic deputy managing editor and social media expert to lead our digital content in day to day operations. The deputy managing editor will help their team find, publish and promote compelling content that successfully develops NBC Sports Washington’s digital platforms.
This position will be responsible for using creative and innovative methods to tell stories through a wide range of tools on NBC Sports Washington’s website, app and social media accounts. This is not an on-air position
The editor will coordinate with other members of editorial leadership, NBC Sports Washington colleagues and the NBC Sports digital team on best practices for the display and distribution of contentIdentify what makes good digital video content and work with video editors to shape and create videos that tell timely stories with focus on meeting traffic and quality goalsParticipate in developing, implementing and maintaining an efficient workflow in a fast-paced content operationAbility to quarterback breaking news coverageWork as a liaison to sales and marketing Work with internal and external distribution partners to maximize the reach of NBC Sports Washington contentEdit content from NBC Sports Washington content miners and team insiders to ensure a consistent and appropriate voice, tone and appearance that speaks with our fans.Help determine storylines and forward-thinking long-term content plans for all tentpole eventsEnsure all content, regardless of platform, meets NBC Sports Washington’s standards for journalistic integrity and production qualityProperly prioritize production of content and ensure all has a consistent "feel," and is engaging, accurate, informative and current on all platformsWork with programming and production colleagues to execute editorial strategies and packagesAssist in long-term content planning for team coverage and tentpole eventsHelp supervise team of editorsWork with linear team to identify crossover content appropriate for use on digital propertiesFamiliarity with Adobe Analytics or another type of analytics measurement a plusBasic Qualifications
- BA/BS in Communications, Journalism or equivalent experience.
- Proven writing and editing skills, in terms of quality and proficiency, with a strong knowledge of AP style and SEO. Experience producing content in fast-paced news environments a plus.
- At least five years’ experience working for a professional news outlet
- Excellent news judgment and ability to think quickly and act appropriately under high pressure
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of social media tools, including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Experience effectively working with corporate accounts a plus.
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently with minimal supervision but also is able to work effectively within a team environment
- Strong knowledge of Washington, DC teams and general sports, and what content drives fan interest
- Basic understanding of HTML and web video editing tools
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in Bethesda, MD
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal’ s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Ability to handle demands and work in a high paced environment
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude and leadership qualities with the ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities a must
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high pressure environment
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.