- Full Time
The Center for an Urban Future (CUF), an independent, nonprofit policy think tank focused on expanding economic opportunity in New York City, seeks a resourceful and energetic Communications Manager to pitch stories, craft marketing strategies, manage social media, and help raise the organization’s visibility to drive impact. The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills, good instincts on the issues of the day, experience navigating the New York City policy and media landscapes, and the hustle required to gain attention for our work.
CUF sparks policy change in New York by publishing fact-based reports that elevate important and often overlooked issues onto the radar of policymakers and advance practical solutions that strengthen New York and help all New Yorkers participate in the city’s rising prosperity.
Working with CUF’s research and policy team, the Communications Manager will help build awareness of the organization and expand CUF’s reach and impact in the media and online. This role is perfect for an enthusiastic and highly organized communicator with an interest in public policy and at least three years of experience working in communications, press relations, or marketing. Duties include drafting and editing press releases, media advisories, marketing materials, and tailored pitches to reporters, as well as developing content for the organization’s social media channels and e-newsletter. Drawing on CUF’s accessible, timely, and data-driven research, the Communications Manager will help drive impact through strategic marketing of CUF’s ideas, research, and recommendations to leaders in government, the media, philanthropy, and the private sector.
The Communications Manager will take on the following responsibilities:
Communications & Marketing
- Coordinate with research and policy staff to design and execute a comprehensive communications and marketing strategy for all publications, research products, and events.
- Draft press releases, media advisories, marketing materials, pitches to journalists, and content for CUF’s email newsletter.
- Manage social media channels on a daily basis, including a prominent Twitter account, and develop social media content to promote the organization and market CUF’s reports and ideas.
- Pitch and place stories in various media outlets.
- Help to cultivate relationships with reporters, policymakers, nonprofit and business leaders, and other key audiences to maintain visibility of CUF’s work and drive impact.
- Identify and secure speaking opportunities for CUF staff to drive organizational visibility, recognition, and thought leadership.
- Develop talking points and messaging for CUF leaders and outside spokespeople to prepare for CUF events, speaking opportunities at policy conferences, and media interviews.
- Draft op-eds, commentaries, and other short-form publications.
- Develop marketing materials for the organization, including pitch decks and one-pagers.
- Identify and promote policy impacts and other organizational achievements.
Insights & Opportunities
- Track daily developments in state and local government and identify opportunities to market CUF’s research and ideas.
- Collate and share relevant news links each morning with CUF staff
- Maintain oversight of CUF’s digital analytics, including CUF’s website, social media platforms, and e-newsletters.
- Assist in brainstorming speakers and panelists for CUF events and drafting framing language and invitations
Qualities & Qualifications
Successful candidates will have the following qualities and qualifications:
- 3+ years’ experience working in a communications, marketing, or PR role in a public policy setting
- Outstanding communication skills, with significant experience writing press releases, pitches, and marketing materials
- Experience identifying and crafting pitches to a variety of media outlets
- Ability to deliver complex content in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner to multiple audiences, including journalists, government officials, and business and nonprofit leaders
- A passion for New York City’s diverse communities and interest in state and local policy issues
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and exercise sound judgement
- Fluency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (Adobe Creative Suite and basic HTML/CSS a plus)
- Experience developing content for social media preferred
- Working relationships with journalists, policymakers, and local government preferred
- A team player who thrives on a challenge
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered.