International Hemp Reporter
- Full Time
Marijuana Business Daily (MJBizDaily) is the oldest and fastest-growing producer of B2B news, analysis, trade shows and conferences serving executives, entrepreneurs and major investors in the $14 billion global cannabis and hemp industries. Founded in 2011, MJBizDaily has been on the Inc. 500 and 5000 lists for the past three years. Among its many offerings, the company produces the industry’s largest B2B trade show, MJBizCon, which attracted over 27,000 attendees in 2018 and has received numerous awards for its unprecedented growth.
If based in the United States, you will be based in our Lakewood office (with a gym and café in the building) and receive a competitive salary, paid time off, a 401(k) with an automatic annual company contribution and health benefits. If based outside the U.S., the preference would be to have someone located in a major hemp-producing country (top producers include Canada, China, Spain, France and Germany). We offer a great work-life balance including a generous time-off policy and flexible work schedule. You will thrive in this fast-paced environment if you are collaborative, a team player, innovative and eager to learn one of the most rapidly growing and changing industries in the U.S.
Here at MJBizDaily we like what we do, and who we do it with.
International Hemp Reporter Job Description
Our editorial is strictly focused on financial, legal and operational topics for business leaders. We do not offer lifestyle, advocacy, medical or consumer content. We also do not publish advertorial or content marketing; our strict church-and-state rules ensure top-quality editorial.
This role will focus primarily on reporting and writing stories for our website, print magazine and premium products, including breaking news, informational/instructional pieces (how-to features, business tips, etc.), briefs, features, in-depth cover stories and business/people profiles. You will also help fact-check, edit and proofread stories as needed and assist with lining up speakers - and possibly moderate sessions - at our major business conferences.
You will need to develop a deep understanding of what types of content our audience needs, with a key focus on determining how we can help business owners understand developments that may affect them.
Required background and skills:
- Fluency in another language (ideally Spanish, Mandarin Chinese or German).
- You should have at minimum five years of professional reporting and editing experience for a B2B publication, as well as experience covering complex, quickly evolving topics such as business, politics, Wall Street or tech.
- A proven ability to learn a difficult beat and to help your audience understand it.
- The ability to write and edit different types of articles, ranging from mobile-friendly news briefs to analytical web/print magazine articles. We need someone who is flexible in how they approach, report and write stories. This is not a position for someone who can only write stories the way they have for the past decade.
- Demonstrated ability to write for a business audience (versus the general public).
- Proven judgement regarding story topics and angles - we need this person to be able to sift through possibilities to zero in on the most useful information for our readers.
Additionally, you must be:
- A self-starter who can manage deadlines and projects without being micromanaged.
- A clean, smooth writer who does not need much editing to turn out polished, readable articles without factual errors.
- Experience working in a digital-first editorial environment.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- An understanding of SEO and the importance of keywords.
- An understanding of how to craft content for mobile viewership.
- The ability to adapt to a quickly changing industry.
- Willing to write about things off their beat, such as marijuana or U.S. hemp trends.
- Experience working on business content for conferences and events.
- Basic knowledge of the cannabis/hemp industries.
Travel required: 5-10%
No relocation assistance provided for this role.
As seen in the WSJ, Harvard Business Review and on NPR, MJBizDaily is a division of Anne Holland Ventures Inc, a woman-owned company based in Lakewood, CO. We are an equal opportunity employer and have been listed in Inc Magazine’s fastest growing companies lists annually since 2015.