Editor – Random House Children’s Books
Random House Children's Books seeks an Editor to solicit, acquire, and develop trade books and series, picture books through Young Adult (YA), for the Random House Books for Young Readers list. This role will report into the Editorial Director.
* Acquire and edit approximately 12 new books per year, across picture books, middle grade, YA.
* Responsible for all editorial aspects of book development, including manuscript development and editing; liaising with art director to provide illustration; copywriting including jacket, metadata, and other marketing copy as required.
* Develop and maintain author and agent relationships (attend writers’ conferences, scout new talent, liaise with authors and agents).
* Negotiate acquisitions with agents and authors.
* Maintain publishing/production schedules and meet deadlines.
* Participate in editorial meetings.
* Present titles at sales meetings and elsewhere as required.
* Represent imprint at industry conventions.
* Keeps abreast of the field at large (read trade journals and competitors' books; be aware of trends in publishing and children’s media so as to keep list up-to-date with the marketplace’s needs and demands).
* Minimum of 3 years of children's books editing experience, particularly MG and YA novels
* Excellent writing and copywriting skills
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to think creatively and work as a team to create a well-rounded list
* Strong attention to detail
* Experience in Intellectual Property a plus
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Please submit a cover letter, with salary requirements, and resume to be considered for this opening. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.