- Full Time
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE MAGAZINE
Department: Landscape Architecture Magazine
Supervisor Title: Editor in Chief
Status: Full-time, Regular
Nature of the Position: Manages traffic at every stage, from pitches to print, of editorial content for monthly production of Landscape Architecture Magazine (LAM), the monthly magazine of the American Society of Landscape Architects, including its print and digital operations and special projects.
Plans, coordinates, and facilitates editorial activities and staff engaged in selecting and preparing material for print and electronic publication by performing the following duties:
- Production of the magazine: Participates in the selection of freelance magazine contributions and assists with monitoring obligations to ensure fulfillment. Generates assignments to authors based on editorial staff decisions. Tracks all the elements for each assigned article (copy, art, credits, captions, etc.). Determines, with content editors, required elements of each story and retrieves them or closely tracks their retrieval. Manages the flow of stories and art among authors, story editors, copy chief, and art director to create visually stunning imagery and captivating narratives.
- Business of the magazine: Monitors budgetary aspects of the magazine. Issues assignment sheets and contracts to authors. Takes the first receipt of articles filed by authors, reads and evaluates material submitted for publication consideration. Receives and processes invoices from contributors. Handles business related to translating articles with an external translator. Manages requests for photography rights, reprint permissions, and awards program.
- Editorial and writing: Copy-edits and fact checks articles as assigned, including pieces assigned for LAM online. Manages correspondence and monthly phone meetings of the LAM Editorial Advisory Committee. Writes, on occasion and as schedule permits, pieces for print or online.
- Must develop a broad knowledge of the landscape architecture profession and ASLA programs, goals, and priorities.
- Works in partnership with department supervisor and other ASLA staff and volunteers to advance the Society’s mission, strategic objectives, and priority issues.
- Upholds the ASLA values and culture. Adheres to the ASLA policy on Standards and Conduct and all other administrative and management policies.
- Supports departmental and ASLA-wide planning, performance monitoring, and performance improvement processes and initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
We are a mission-driven publication dedicated to excellent design and environmental progress. This position offers a lot of room for growth among a dynamic, collegial, dedicated staff and outside contributors.
- Education: BA degree
- Skills: Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Strong aptitude for project and process management with demonstrated success managing publications production process, including coordinating work of contributors. Meticulous attention to detail. A combination of speed and accuracy. A sense of enterprise and initiative. A nose for what is not working in any of a variety of situations and a sense of how to fix it. Excellent organizational skills, good judgment, and an ability to balance a heavy workload of short- and long-term project deadlines and address changing priorities throughout a fast-paced production process. A talent for working well under pressure. Microsoft Office and Adobe InDesign fluency.
- Experience: Minimum two years’ experience in editorial production management. Professional experience/knowledge of landscape architecture, design, planning, or environmental issues a plus.
“Collaboration is at the heart of our work; our operations are transparent and our atmosphere is healthy and fun.”
Richard Winston III
ASLA Human Resources Manager
Competitive compensation and benefits package included. ASLA is a conscious leader and employer that values the work-life balance of staff through many inclusive wellness initiatives and professional development programs.
ASLA is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and fostering a vibrant and inclusive workplace culture. ASLA values are dedication, excellence, integrity, leadership, and stewardship. The ASLA culture is collaborative, member-focused, accountable, responsible, and volunteer-supported.
A leader in environmental sustainability, ASLA is headquartered in a state-of-the-art facility designed to achieve LEED Platinum and WELL Building Standard Gold. The Center for Landscape Architecture
features a green roof, landscaped patio, flexible meeting/event space, collaboration spaces, and advanced lighting, air quality, and A/V systems. The building is located one-and-a-half blocks from the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station serving the Red, Yellow, and Green Lines. ASLA has received awards for its employee wellness programs and is recognized as a Best Workplace for Commuters.
“I appreciate the quality of life the benefits and work culture provide. My colleagues are also hardworking and wonderful people.”
ASLA Chapter Relations and Membership Marketing Manager
The American Society of Landscape Architects is the national professional association for landscape architects, representing more than 15,000 members in 49 professional chapters and 82 student chapters. The Society has a staff of 50 and annual revenues of $12.9 million. Landscape architects plan livable communities that foster active lifestyles, design green streets that manage stormwater runoff, plan cutting-edge transportation corridors that are safe for all users, and help communities prepare for and recover from natural disasters. Landscape architecture includes commercial developments, streetscapes, green roofs, parks, civic spaces, memorials, and residential communities, as well as large-scale land planning and design to protect watersheds, coastlines, and ecosystems. The Society’s mission is to advance landscape architecture through advocacy, communication, education, and fellowship.
ASLA offers an attractive, competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and life insurance; a generous 401(k) plan; a comprehensive wellness program; and flexible schedules.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter, résumé, a list of three professional references, and a writing sample as a part of our standard application process. Please reference “Production Editor” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Apply for Production Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly