The Bloomberg Washington Bureau is looking for an experienced, dynamic editor to lead our coverage of the 2020 presidential campaign. This promises to be an extraordinary race, and we need a high-energy, hands-on Team Leader to steer our coverage and deliver the stories Bloomberg readers need.
We place a high premium on scoops, along with stories that dig in to the candidates' policy proposals for incisive, informative enterprise and explanatory pieces. "Horse race" coverage will be kept to a minimum. The ideal individual for this role has run presidential campaign coverage before. If you show aptitude at getting the best out of a far-flung team in fast-moving situations, all while fostering a spirit of teamwork, you will thrive in this job.
The politics team will produce a mix of scoops and enterprise, and you must be adept at both the story-formulation stage and the pencil-editing stage. Enterprise must be sharp, well-written and insightful, and scoops must illuminate the hidden corners of the campaign with speed and edge.
You must have:
- Have at least 5 years of experience editing, preferably in Washington
- Know that speed is essential in a competitive wire-service atmosphere
- Know how to work closely with reporters and collaborate with other teams to achieve the best work
- Set out a vision for how to attack this multi-faceted campaign -- what to cover, and what not to cover -- and then execute it
- Be conversant with various storytelling techniques, including Data Visualization, to explain complex topics to the audience
- Be comfortable in a collaborative, dynamic, fast-moving newsroom where news can break at any time, including nights and weekends
Does this sound like you?
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.