About the Role
The Spruce is looking for a Food Photo Editor with strong experience in a creative role working for a digital publication.
We are looking for a digitally savvy content enthusiast with deep knowledge of, and passion for, food and cooking, who is eager to drive the ongoing evolution and growth of one of the biggest food sites on the web. The visual editor will work with The Spruce Eats team to define and enforce the brand’s visual voice, and to improve user experience to ultimately grow traffic, audience engagement, and revenue. This is a full-time contract position.
About Your Contributions
- Define and enforce The Spruce Eats visual voice
- Work with Dotdash design team on visual style guides for the brand
- Write/review creative briefs for illustration and original photography work
- Assist with managing a team of food photographers, including daily communication, payments and workflows
- Review and edit incoming visual assets for Spruce Eats for accuracy, style, and relevance
- Assign and catalog a large volume of food images each week
- Perform photo research and updates across new and existing content, including brand and business outreach
- 3+ years experience working in a visual role for a digital publisher with relevant experience in production and editing of food and cooking imagery
- Experience managing photographers or giving feedback to photographers about their work (experience managing remote teams a plus)
- Well-versed in Photoshop, Lightroom and Indesign
- Detail-oriented, deadline-focused and impeccably organized
- Proven experience working with both photography and illustration
- You’d love to spend hours searching for the perfect photo, but can also move quickly to perform photo research and make a decision.
- Proactive, flexible team player with a sense of humor, able to roll with the punches and take ownership in a fluid and fast-moving environment
- Passionate about food, knowledgeable and insatiable curious about ingredients, dishes, cuisines techniques and eager to share your knowledge of the world. You prefer to DIY rather than buy, you probably choose vacations based on what you will eat there, you’ve cooked your way through magazines and books, and are often the go-to person in your friend group for food questions
- You’re consistently up to date with industry trends and able to identify visual trends across the lifestyle space
- Basic copywriting skills a major plus
- Hands-on food photography production and or styling or culinary experience a plus.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Byrdie, MyDomaine, Brides and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a firstname.lastname@example.org account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to email@example.com.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.