Freelance Managing Editor
Attention editorially-minded, independent solution-finders: Contently is hiring freelance managing editors for our finance vertical, and we want you to apply.
As a freelance managing editor, you’ll help Contently’s finance clients craft high-quality and engaging content that drives strategic business goals. A daily resource and partner for our clients, you’ll provide both editorial guidance and project management expertise.
Our freelance managing editors bring impressive copy and narrative chops to ensure the highest quality stories, while also wrangling contributors, managing a publishing schedule, and ensuring that each and every piece of content aligns with our clients’ marketing strategy.
You’ll work remotely on a freelance contract basis and must have access to necessary tools (computer hardware and software, reliable phone and Internet service, and so on).
Who We're Looking For
We’re looking for editors with expertise in one of three areas: personal finance, wealth management, and institutional banking. (Extra points for the latter two.) Our application will ask you to specify one area of expertise. If you have expertise in multiple areas, select your primary or preferred area and note in the comments that you have additional skills.
Personal finance/consumer banking: Applicants should have plenty of experience writing and editing personal finance content. The ideal candidate is full of fresh ideas and new ways to talk about familiar topics: saving money, taking out loans, paying down debt, tapping into home equity, managing credit cards, navigating the world of student loans, and the like. Content will range from brand-agnostic financial advice, to product-focused content that compares savings products (for example), to multimedia like videos and interactive graphics or tools.
Wealth management: Applicants should have a strong grip on the market-moving topics that investors are eyeing these days — think blockchain, trade, China, 5G, and tax reform — as well as more-traditional wealth management topics related to taxes, investing, retirement, estate planning, and more. The ideal candidate is comfortable working on content geared toward advisors as well as firms’ prospective/current customers, including high net worth investors.
Institutional banking: Applicants should have plenty of experience writing and editing for a B2B banking audience and should understand how institutional banks use content to influence, engage and retain current and potential customers. The ideal candidate can communicate intelligently to an audience of C-suite decision-makers and is comfortable editing, assigning, and ideating content about topics like M&A, B2B lending, treasury and cash management, risk management, and the like.
General responsibilities of a managing editor:
Manage client projects and strategy
- Participate in bi-weekly client calls and manage daily correspondence
- Suggest angles for coverage
- Establish an editorial calendar that aligns with client’s content plan
- Set deadlines and rates and adjust as necessary with client approval
- Consult with Contently program managers to stay up to date on account milestones, or surface areas of opportunity for account enhancement
- Consult with in-house staff at Contently for contributor issues, client strategy, and project needs as necessary
- Request, evaluate, select, and periodically refresh the contributor team
- Train contributors on client’s content strategy and expectations
- Assign stories to appropriate contributors
- Set story prices according to the agreed-upon rate card
- Coach and provide feedback to contributors
Request pitches and initiate content requests
- Consult with clients to craft and hone story ideas, request contributor story pitches, and provide feedback
- Advise clients on relative strength of pitches as they pertain to the content plan and client’s goals
- Create story briefs aligned with content strategy; ensure briefs are actionable by contributors
- Ensure stories fulfill brief requirements and brand guidelines, including SEO keywords, images, tags, and social content
- Ensure alignment of story structure, voice, and tone with content plan
- Edit and proofread stories on sentence level (grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc.)
- Check all facts and annotations and verify sources
Compensation is billed hourly and paid monthly. If you’re interested, here’s how to apply: