- Full Time
The Pennsylvania Capital-Star, the Keystone State’s go-to source for honest and aggressive coverage of state government, politics, and policy is looking for a new associate editor.
As associate editor, you will help lead our daily coverage by developing news sources, monitoring news developments and creating content for our website and social media channels. You should be an experienced self-starter with sound news judgment and the ability to juggle both short- and long-term projects.
Working with the Editor-in-Chief, you will produce enterprise and investigative projects, and mentor and assist our staff reporters as they produce our day-to-day coverage. You will also assist the Editor-in-Chief in making key decisions on the content and tone of our daily coverage.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Help develop and assign stories for reporters
- Provide back up with editing and other organizational duties with Editor-in-Chief
- Produce regular, high quality reporting on issues facing Pennsylvania
- Use personal social media accounts to amplify site’s content and expand social media presence representing the outlet
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief in directing and supporting newer reporters
Required education, experience, knowledge and abilities: A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, and at least 5-7 years of news reporting and/or editing experience.
Valued skills, knowledge and abilities: A deep knowledge of state’s political landscape and leaders; ability to work on deadline; ability to guide and support other reporters. You should also have experience working across a variety of social media platforms, as well as skills in video editing and data-assisted reporting.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits.
Send resume, at least six clips showing a variety of breaking and long-term work to Editor-in-Chief John L. Micek at firstname.lastname@example.org.