Social Media Specialist
2 days left
- Full Time
Job Description Summary
At National Geographic, we use the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to illuminate and protect the wonder of our world. The Social Media Specialist will play an important role in bringing this vision to life. We create engaged and impactful relationships with our various constituencies, including National Geographic Explorers, educators, influencers and targeted publics, across the Society’s social media channels.
The Social Media Specialist will participate as a member of a results-oriented and audience-focused team, working with other members of the Marketing & Communications department to develop and distribute social content that will engage the right audience, at the right time, on the right channels.
- Help manage and maintain the Society’s social media channels, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. Draft social copy and frame content that supports the Society’s mission and strategic ambition in ways that will engage target audiences. Work with members of Marketing & Communications to develop and gather assets to support social media campaigns. Help provide live coverage for events. Execute processes for social media publishing, moderation and optimization. (35%)
- Measure and report on social media engagement and audience KPIs. Analyze, test and iterate social content and overall social campaigns to better engage target audiences and achieve the brand’s organizational goals. Monitor, engage, and grow target audiences on social media. (20%)
- Support collaboration with colleagues across Marketing & Communications, the Society and National Geographic Partners to create/optimize social content, define and deliver social media plans. (25%)
- Ensure voice on social channels is in line with the overall brand. Work closely with Marketing & Communications colleagues to align content with editorial calendar and on crisis management and sentiment reporting as needed. (10%)
- Stay up to date with respect to best social media practices, benchmarks and emerging trends, ensuring that the Society’s social media presence reflects the brand and its priorities and reaches the appropriate constituencies through the appropriate channels. Closely monitor the overall social media landscape and maintain a working knowledge of each current, relevant social media platform's features and capabilities. Routinely seek out new ways to tell National Geographic Society's story on social. (10%)
- Minimum Education Required
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
A minimum of two to three years of direct and hands-on experience executing digital and/or social media channels for large brands, private or public organizations.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- A proven social/digital media operator, the Social Media Specialist will lead the engagement and growth of various audience segments across a number of key programs through website and social channels.
- Strong writing and creative skills and sharp editorial judgement
- The ability to think analytically, including the ability to use data insights to grow audiences and improve engagement with creative/content
- Knowledge of the social media and content marketing landscape
- Working knowledge of social media analytics and optimizations
- Experience producing engaging content for social and digital platforms
- Experience in traffic growth (SEM, SEO) and audience development
- Experience with paid social media campaigns
- Attention to detail
- A strong communicator and collaborator
- A quick and motivated learner with high enthusiasm for the National Geographic Society mission
- A proactive self-starter and creative problem solver
No direct reports
Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.
National Geographic's headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options. National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer
INCLUDE A COVER LETTER TO BE CONSIDERED