- Full Time
The Texas Monthly events editor is responsible for the creative direction, management, and execution of Texas Monthly LIVE, a storytelling show that brings the magazine’s stories to life for a theater audience. The events editor will also provide editorial input and oversight for other Texas Monthly signature events such as the annual Edge festival and BBQ festival.
This role requires experience in performance journalism as well as knowledge of live events and/or theatrical stage productions. Successful candidates will be enthusiastic about live journalism and what the future of Texas Monthly in this space could look like. The person in this position will play an essential leadership role with colleagues across the editorial and business sides to help build new and innovative ways for readers to experience Texas Monthly journalism in a live format.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Texas Monthly LIVE Director and Project Manager
- Oversee programming for Texas Monthly LIVE show starting with the story selection process, working with the Director of New Story Platforms to select Texas Monthly stories that can be adapted for the stage and will perform well to various audiences around the state and in select cities across the country.
- Work closely with the selected storytellers to hone, develop, and rehearse stories and performances.
- Provide stage and performance direction to individual contributors including posture, pacing, reading emphasis, etc.
- Produce the run of show and spearhead the creative direction of the show content and format in conjunction with the Director of New Story Platforms, Chief Innovation Officer, the TM Studio events team, and any necessary staff members.
- Work closely with the Texas Monthly art department and the Texas Monthly LIVE musical director to produce art and musical composition complementary to each story and the overall show.
- Manage production needs at each venue, including lighting, audio, and visual specifications.
- Provide notes and feedback on the final performance with details on how to transfer the show to other markets.
- Contract necessary staff to assist in the onsite production as needed (i.e. video manager, stage manager, musical director, etc.)
- Oversee and schedule run-throughs, tech rehearsals, production meetings, and dress rehearsals to help ensure a seamless production
- Participate in conversations regarding growth, development, and expansion of the Texas Monthly LIVE brand.
- Work closely with the Director of New Story Platforms to manage schedules of participating Texas Monthly Communicate deadlines, story edits, rehearsals, scheduling, etc.
- Work closely with the TM Studio events team to determine appropriate venues, sponsorship integration within the performance, and support in the development of necessary event planning documents.
- Research and develop programming “best practices” and oversee implementation.
- Represent the editorial and event vision in all aspects of the program.
- Manage the talent portion of the event budgets as determined and assigned by the Director of Events.
- Work with Director of New Story Platforms and Multimedia Producer to translate the live event into a potential podcast series.
Texas Monthly Signature Events
- Work with events team and relevant editors/writers to ensure the best and truest representation of Texas Monthly editorial in events such as SXSW, EDGE, and BBQ festivals.
Texas Monthly Representation in Other Events
- Serve as point of contact and events production lead for Texas Monthly’s edit-specific involvement in TribFest, the Texas Book Festival, and other related events.
Education and Experience:
- 3-5 years in theater or live event production. We’re looking for someone with an editorial, creative mindset but tactical experience in the events space. The ideal candidate will relish the opportunity to translate the best of Texas Monthly from the page to the stage and to other live events.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, we encourage you to apply. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line. If you have a portfolio, please include that as well.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.