Editorial, Marketing, and Publicity Intern, Ten Speed Press
Ten Speed Press and Clarkson Potter are part of the Random House Publishing Group, itself a division of Penguin Random House, which was named the #1 best midsize employer in America in 2018 in a survey conducted by Forbes magazine. Known for creating beautiful illustrated books with innovative design and award-winning content, Ten Speed Press and Clarkson Potter actively seek out (and are sought out by) new and established authors who are authorities and tastemakers in the world of food, drink, pop culture, graphic novels, illustration, design, reference, gardening, and health. Acclaimed Ten Speed Press and Clarkson Potter authors include New York Times-best sellers Marie Kondo, Ina Garten, Rachel Ignotofsky, Chrissy Teigen, Aaron Franklin, Gina Homolka, and Yotam Ottolenghi.
We are currently seeking an Editorial, Marketing, and Publicity Intern to join the Random House team, supporting the Ten Speed Press/Clarkson Potter editorial, marketing, and publicity teams, and helping to publicize our critically acclaimed, award-winning lifestyle and gift publishing.
Based in Emeryville, CA, this position provides an opportunity to support West Coast team members of Penguin Random House and to work closely with our New York colleagues on a wide array of lifestyle and gift titles each season.
Responsibilities and Duties:
* ACQUISITIONS RESEARCH: Into categories, specific topics, and resources
* CHECKING/COLLATING CORRECTIONS: Including spell-checking, filling in x-refs, reviewing indexes, creating specialty indexes, reviewing consistent usage, and breaks
* CIP/E-MS: Prep and submit manuscripts for Library of Congress cataloging info and e-MS for sales team
* CODING: Quick-turn and/or regularly scheduled coding of sample text and full manuscripts.
* COMP RESEARCH: For acquisitions, cover briefs, etc.
* COLD READS: Final proofread
* PRE-FINAL PAGES REVIEWS: Particularly of heavily illustrated titles
* SCHEDULES: Update book schedules in Filemaker
* SPECIAL PROJECTS: Creating recipe lists, compiling book information, researching phonetic pronunciations, and fact-checking
Marketing and Publicity Role
* PUBLICITY: Research contacts for e-blasts, pull assets for media outlets, and book mailings as needed
* MARKETING: Influencer and partner research, manage influencer mailings, and database entry for influencer lists
* MARKETING PROMOTION: Pull excerpts, and update author spotlight features
Penguin Random House offers a six month PAID internship. Interns are exposed to the publishing process and work for 28 hours per week. Program will officially begin on January 6, 2020 and end July 3, 2020. Interns will be paid $15 per hour.
Applicants should attach a cover letter, and resume to their application.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.