- Full Time
The Countryman Press is seeking a high-energy, proactive marketing manager to join its team. The Countryman Press is an imprint of W.W. Norton & Company, publishes a vibrant list of books in the areas of cooking and lifestyle, health and fitness, outdoor/nature/gardening, parenting, pet care, and travel. Reporting to the editorial director and executive director of the imprint, the marketing manager will be responsible for promoting Countryman books to broad and targeted audiences through innovative campaigns. The position requires close collaboration with authors and their brands, editors, the sales department, and publicity.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Create and execute targeted marketing campaigns for the Countryman list, with a focus on 10 to 12 high-profile titles a year, as determined with editorial and sales team.
- Identify desirable audiences and work to reach them through promotion, social media, email marketing, giveaways, and advertising.
- Help maximize discoverability of the books with keyword and metadata management.
- Communicate and work with authors and brands directly.
- Set seasonal marketing plans and budgets, in collaboration with colleagues.
- Participate in author and agent meetings; help bring in new acquisitions if possible.
- Prepare marketing materials, including promotional copy and digital assets.
- Coordinate with sales to effectively plan and execute seasonal, trade show, and account- and title-specific promotions.
- Work with in-house publicist to ensure that their efforts are integrated smoothly and comprehensively into the overall marketing plan for each title and for each season.
- Brainstorm with editorial colleagues about marketplace developments, trends, and opportunities
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the U.S.
- Ability to work full business hours in Norton’s New York City Headquarters.
- 3 to 5 years minimum experience in book publishing, including experience with cooking and lifestyle titles.
- Fluency in key marketing concepts and tools including social media marketing, search and retailer-specific marketing programs, and traditional book marketing methods.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, and general computer skills.
- Basic design skills, general knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, and HTML a plus.
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital resources that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.