Content Creator and Editor
- Full Time
As Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center plans to launch a new campus, dramatically increase our local visibility and national media presence and welcome 100,000 visitors in our first year at NW 11th and Broadway, the Content Creator and Editor will handle a plethora of Communications tasks and projects, with a focus on crafting content across multiple platforms. By researching and writing meaningful narratives, the Content Creator and Editor will help tell a wide variety of stories about the art exhibitions, educational programs and diverse artists, students, visitors, donors and other stakeholders of Oklahoma Contemporary. The ideal candidate will have strong PR, communication, writing and editing skills, a command of the digital environment and a background in communications, journalism, public relations and/or marketing. Art and/or nonprofit experience a plus. Team player a must.
Essential Job Functions
- Work across all departments to create content that will grow positive awareness for, elevate the brand and reputation of and drive visitors, donors and students to Oklahoma Contemporary.
- Research, write and/or edit copy for the web, email marketing, editorial media, fundraising and print publications for wide-ranging audiences, using the right voice for each audience and media type.
- Develop engaging written and multimedia content and create social media campaigns that fit our brand and align with channel best practice. Manage day-to-day social engagement across assorted platforms.
- Build relationships with and pitch stories to local, regional and national media.
- Serve on a team that’s the voice of the brand across social, web, email, broadcast and all kinds of print media. Ensure consistent messaging, both visually and verbally, across print and online platforms.
- Use data and analytics to track, measure and communicate the effectiveness of specific communication and marketing efforts.
- Assist in various Communications and outreach projects and activities and other duties as assigned.
- Work with colleagues to identify great stories, design effective communications plans and package news, information and promotions for internal/external audiences.
- Edit copy — from signage, advertising and promotions to catalogs, blog posts and grant applications – for accuracy, clarity, grammar, style, campaign continuity and brand consistency. Recommend edits that improve the quality of the copy, the meaning of the message and reflect our overall brand voice and tone.
- Generate creative ideas on a constant basis and work comfortably with varied stakeholders.
- Create talking points, speeches, fundraising asks, presentations, minutes and other supporting material as needed.
Essential Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Crave the challenge to craft stories that build the brand of a dramatically expanding arts organization.
- Able to clearly and precisely express complex ideas with interesting and compelling angles.
- Demonstrate curiosity, creativity, drive for excellence and attention to detail.
- Possess confidence, patience and flexibility in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field preferred but not required.
- Three to five years’ professional writing experience required. Experience in public relations for a nonprofit, educational or arts organization highly desired.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills required; knowledge of AP style preferred. Demonstrated skills in interviewing diverse stakeholders.
- Adept in numerous social-media platforms, including video.
- Knowledge of media operations and experience in the field of public relations.
- Highly receptive to feedback and coaching.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, Craft (or other CMS), Wordfly (or other email marketing platforms) is a plus.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office, with a strong knowledge of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Basic understanding of professional cameras, photography equipment and editing software.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple projects, often with shifting priorities and requiring collaboration across many departments.
- Ability to work independently with modest supervision.
Submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples here to apply. (Samples should include both short- and long-form writing and at least one social campaign.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Unfortunately, because of the volume of applications we receive, we are not able to give status updates. If you are invited for an interview, you will be contacted directly by the hiring manager by Nov. 8, 2019. Anticipated start date is January 2020.
Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits package, including healthcare, dental, vision and retirement plan.