Director and Senior Fellow, Lebanon Program
- Full Time
The Middle East Institute (MEI) in Washington, DC, seeks a full-time director for its proposed Lebanon Program.
Lebanon is going through one of the most challenging periods in its recent history with impending crises at the levels of economics, governance, environment and security. Longstanding US-Lebanese relations are going through a period of complex recalibration. MEI seeks to establish a dedicated program on Lebanon and US-Lebanese relations, and is seeking a dynamic expert who can build and lead this program.
MEI hopes to launch the Lebanon program before the end of 2019. The program will comprise an intense schedule of research and publications integrating the work of selected non-resident experts. It will produce a steady stream of publications, podcasts, panels, conferences, and policy briefings. It will also maintain a strong presence on news and social media. The program will identify important challenges facing Lebanon at the levels of economics, politics, governance, environment, and security, and will propose policy recommendations to overcome them. It will also identify common as well as divergent interests in the US-Lebanese relationship, and will suggest policy recommendations to foster understanding and build stronger relations.
MEI seeks a director to oversee the program, direct the research and analysis, coordinate with MEI’s broader policy efforts, and serve as spokesperson for MEI on the issue.
The director will manage the program in-house at MEI’s DC headquarters; help select and supervise non-resident experts; supervise program interns; coordinate with other MEI resident and non-resident experts; and convene the Lebanon Working Group.
The director reports to the senior vice president.
- Lead consolidation and growth of the program
- Lead fundraising efforts to grow the program
- Convene the Lebanon Working Group, which includes members from the expert community, public and private sectors, academia and regional partners
- Coordinate the production of original research and analysis by in-house and outside experts
- Produce regular short commentaries for the MEI website and/or for other outlets with cross-posting to the website. Participate in MEI podcasts and video briefings
- Write policy analyses involving in-depth research and policy recommendations 2-3 times per year
- Organize and lead talks, panels, and workshops
- Participate in Track II meetings as appropriate
- Be available for press, radio and television media as an MEI senior fellow
- Provide briefings to US and other government officials as needed
- Master’s in a relevant field of study
- Expertise in Lebanese and US-Lebanese affairs.
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
- Ability to provide impactful analysis on a wide range of policy issues including socio-economic and political.
- 5-7 years relevant work experience.
- Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills, exceptional ethical standards, and demonstrated ability in interpersonal communication and supervision are essential.
- He or she must be proactive and accountable, and be equipped to manage varied commitments, competing deadlines, and shifting priorities.
Prior experience managing the many facets of complex projects, including research, networking, and communications, is strongly preferred. Familiarity with grant reporting is a plus.
Salary commensurate with expertise and experience.
Apply for Director and Senior Fellow, Lebanon Program
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly