Senior Designer - Penguin Young Readers
Posted: 10/21/2019 | Expires: 11/20/2019
Location: NEW YORK, New York
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Graphic Design
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Penguin Random House is looking for a Senior Designer for Penguin Workshop, an imprint of Penguin Young Readers Group. The Penguin Workshop group also includes the imprints of Mad Libs, Penguin Licenses, Grosset & Dunlap (The Little Engine That Could), The World of Eric Carle, and Frederick Warne (Peter Rabbit).
The Senior Designer will design and manage approximately 25 children’s books per year, primarily focusing on covers and interiors for picture books, illustrated chapter book series, middle grade and young adult novels, graphic novels, gift books, and books with fully designed interiors.
The Penguin Workshop group makes every kind of children’s book for every kind of child. We create about 225 books a year for ages of 0-12 across all formats including board books, picture books, 8x8s, readers, activity books, illustrated chapter books, middle grade and young adult novels, graphic novels, and gift books. Our list includes best-selling picture books illustrated by Jessica Hische, Oliver Jeffers, and Dan Santat, and award-winning Readers. We expand in-house brands like the ever-popular Mad Libs and continue the legacy of Eric Carle and Beatrix Potter. We are leaders in the nonfiction market with the Who Was? book series and work with top licensors on media tie-in publishing that extends beyond traditional formats.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Designs and manages all stages of book design—for both covers and interiors—for approximately 25 children’s book titles per year.
* Creates title logos and series branding.
* Scouts, hires, and art directs illustrators.
* Effectively communicates with artists and agents.
* Assists the Art Director in mentoring and training the Design team.
* Creates, maintains, and strictly adheres to schedules.
* Works collaboratively with the Design, Editorial, Managing Editorial, and Production teams.
* Traffics materials for approval with multiple stakeholders.
* Prepares press-ready files including specialty printing processes.
* Remains current on art, design, and publishing trends and brings new ideas as well as expertise to the Design team.
* Hires and art directs freelance designers as needed.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Minimum of 3 years of experience working in a design capacity in publishing or children’s brands
* A portfolio that highlights your ability to expertly combine type and image, as well as strong branding, logo, and typography skills—hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus!
* Advanced knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop, and a working knowledge of Illustrator
* Interest in pop culture
* Appreciation of all kinds of books and all kinds of readers
* Ability to manage competing priorities while adhering to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
* Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
* Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
To apply, please submit your portfolio, resume, and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.