Assistant Editor (Remote)
WiseOldSayings, one of the oldest and largest quotation sites on the web, is seeking a seasoned and savvy Assistant Editor.
With more than 30 million people visiting the site each year, and over 100,000 quotes that have been hand-selected and categorized by our team, our site has a substantial audience and base of content to work with. At the same time, the design and user interface of the site has not been updated in many years, and there is tremendous untapped potential across all aspects of the site. Our goal is to be the #1 quotes site on the internet, and we believe we have the building blocks to get there. We are looking to bring on a highly creative self-starter who will keep our content goals running as we implement design initiatives that will bring WiseOldSayings into a more modern format and structure.
Our categorized quote lists are designed to inspire, educate, and entertain our readers, and you can help us make an even bigger impact by developing new content, improving our existing pages, and doing original quotation research. Great perks to joining our team include flexible hours and working remotely with a team that is passionate about making a positive impact on the lives of millions of readers each month.
Key responsibilities include:
- Content review: review, fact-check, and copy edit new quote pages from our quote curators based on our editorial guidelines; write headlines and blurbs for quotation topic pages
- Quotation research: Research original quotes from source materials; update older pages with new content
- Assist Content Manager: provide feedback and research as needed for new content initiatives, editorial calendar development, taxonomy projects, topic selection, and our writing manuals and style guidelines
Our ideal candidate for this role is someone who has previously worked as an editorial assistant or assistant editor at an online publishing company. Although prior experience working directly with quotations isn’t a requirement, taking delight in wise, humorous, and inspirational sayings is a must.
You’re the right fit if you’re a problem solver who thrives when working independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. You are highly organized and know your way around an Excel spreadsheet. You have an obsessive eye for detail and copyediting, and can dig into web analytics to make informed decisions. Most importantly, you are brimming with ideas that will help us take our operating processes, content standards, and online platform to the next level as we work to revamp our website in the coming months.
Requirements for this position include:
- 2-3 years editorial experience, including writing, editing, and proofing
- Strong research, reading comprehension, and analytical skills
- Working knowledge of SEO
- Ability to work within a CMS
Prior experience managing social media efforts a plus. Experience working remotely with a distributed team is preferred.
This is a part-time, hourly role with the rate of $18/hour.