Business News Writer
- Full Time
Cheddar is a live Post-Cable Network covering the headline and business news that is transforming our lives. Cheddar’s team is growing, products are diversifying, and infrastructure is becoming more complex- at a very fast pace. We’re looking for an experienced media operations professional to oversee a diverse portfolio of projects that helps our team work together to execute their objectives amidst this rapid change.
In June 2019, Cheddar was acquired by Altice USA, which grew Cheddar’s news family to include News12 and i24 as well as introduce a new portfolio of ad products. While our culture remains start-up in feel, the opportunity for success is now even greater.
Cheddar is looking for a creative and motivated newswriter to contribute news stories to Cheddar’s digital platforms. This will include writing text articles on the day’s top business stories, breaking news, and contextual pieces highlighting our live shows’ highest-profile guests. We’re also looking for someone who can create narrative arcs featuring multiple guests and other sources and can maintain and update stories throughout the day as they develop. Stories covered will span business, markets, politics and entertainment topics.
This person will also be tasked with putting together a daily, evening newsletter, featuring our best guests of the day, including periodic “themed” newsletters on Cheddar’s verticals (ie, CannaBiz).
This job requires excellent news judgment and strong writing ability, as well as a proactive nature to recognize when a story should be covered.
What You’ll Do:
● Write 3-4 news articles a day on a variety of topics, including business, earnings, markets, politics, and entertainment.
● Work with editors to put together evening newsletter, featuring top guests of the day.
Who You Are:
● A highly-motivated news junkie with excellent judgment and ability to identify the top news headlines of the day across a range of topics, including news, business, politics, entertainment, and sports.
● A highly-reliable self-starter who can be trusted to meet a very early morning deadline with minimal supervision.
● A fast worker who thrives under tight deadlines.
● A creative and lively writer who consistently generates engaging copy.
● A meticulous writer who takes pride in filing clean copy.
● A team player with a positive attitude and the ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
● 4-7 years in text news writing, which includes business news experience.
● Strong news judgment and broad knowledge of the top headlines of the day in the areas of news, politics, business, entertainment, and sports.
● Ability to write SEO-friendly headlines and knowledge of current SEO best-practices.
● Familiarity with working in a CMS.
● Organizational skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines.
Altice USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Altice USA, Inc. collects personal information about its applicants for employment that may include personal identifiers, professional or employment related information, photos, education information and/or protected classifications under federal and state law. This information is collected for employment purposes, including identification, work authorization, FCRA-compliant background screening, human resource administration and compliance with federal, state and local law.