Features Photo Editor, Off Duty Section
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced photo editor to join its Features team in New York for a full time or temporary contract position.
What the position is:
This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and fast-paced team of photo editors and to work on The Wall Street Journal’s Off Duty section.
Who we are looking for:
A photo editor with range and journalistic integrity, who can produce high-quality photography assignments in the areas of fashion, portraiture, still-life and design, in a fast-paced environment. Applicants will also demonstrate broad agency and social media research knowledge and the skills to work effectively within a large newsroom, with bureaus around the world. Successful candidates will have a proven track record of editorial production and visual conceptualization and an ability to work with a small team on deadline. The work requires great creativity, speed, organization and attention to detail, to conceive of and create compelling photographic content for all platforms of WSJ, from desktop to mobile app to social to the weekend print section. Candidates must have at least 3-5 years experience in a photo editing and production role.
- A background in editorial production work, conceptualization and assigning of fashion, still-life and portraiture, and a clear understanding of the WSJ take on fashion, food, still-life, travel, technology and cultural coverage.
- Strong digital skills. Familiarity with web tools and photo editing programs, including content management systems, Photoshop, PhotoMechanic, video editing tools, FTP.
- Must demonstrate excellent news judgement and an expansive understanding of mobile-first experience and design.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative abilities.
- A creative vision and enthusiasm to spearhead and collaborate on new ideas.
- A self-starter who can work independently as well as with a team.
- Deep research skills, including newsgathering and social media tools.
- Basic coding skills a plus.
- Produce and build visual assets for Off Duty content for WSJ digital and print platforms.
- Photography assigning and shoot production: Commission original content, including shoots in WSJ’s in-house photography studio, as well as on location
- Perform historic and general photo research.
- Pitch visually innovative and original approaches to features coverage for the Off Duty section, from print covers to digital display, focusing on the online experience and demonstrating an understanding of the different platforms and audiences.
- Collaborate with audience and platform teams on social strategy and distribution of WSJ content.
- Maintain a budget on a monthly basis.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: About Us
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 18950