7 days left
- Full Time
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.
The production editor oversees approximately fifty fiction and nonfiction titles per year, including graphic novels, complex illustrated titles, picture books, novelty books, and middle grade and YA novels. Manages the production editorial process by assigning copyediting of manuscripts and proofreading and indexing of page proofs. Checks for quality assurance of text, illustrations and photos, and jackets/covers at all stages from manuscript to finished books.
• Work as production editor on approximately fifty new titles per year, plus paperback and other format conversions, where necessary. Keep books on schedule while juggling multiple projects at once.
• Hire freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers, and supervise and review their work.
• Prepare both paper and electronic manuscripts for design and typesetting.
• Review at all stages to ensure revisions have been made correctly.
• Monitor schedules and keep editors, managing editor, designers, and production managers updated on title status, working with them to resolve issues should they arise.
• Copyedit and proofread jacket/cover copy, indexes, and other material, including a variety of advertising and promotional material.
• Maintain consistent style within each work.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills, including experience with electronic copyediting.
• Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects at once.
• Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Track Changes and electronic copyediting.
• Must have at least two years of experience as a production editor at another trade publisher, ideally with children’s book experience. Experience with graphic novel and novelty formats a plus.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree