Breaking News Desk Investigator—Social Media Producer
- Full Time
The Breaking News Desk Investigator—Social Media Producer is key to CMGO’s commitment to be provide breaking news, weather and traffic content to all our brands’ audiences 24-7—including WHIO-TV-Radio, Dayton Daily News, Springfield News Sun and Journal-News.
The candidate MUST possess a sense of urgency, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and sound news judgment.
As a member of the Breaking News Team, the Desk Investigator’s primary role is to serve as the team’s lead monitor of breaking news in our brand’s coverage area and to serve as a dispatcher of our local first responders in the field. The Desk Investigator is the primary Breaking News Team member to monitor police/fire scanners for multiple counties; he or she will field phone calls, monitor emails and Tweetdeck, as well as scan multiple branded social media accounts for news tips from the public. The Desk Investigator will utilize their journalism training to write breaking news, weather, traffic and non-urgent content for our digital products, with emphasis on mobile-friendly writing-style. The Desk Investigator will write compelling headlines, thread related and trending links in to the content, as well as implement SEO techniques to bolster engagement with the content.
The Desk Investigator must be skilled in social media and compose tweets of confirmed news; he or she will publish content to multiple branded sites, and will continue to update developing stories, providing our audiences with fresh, up-to-the-minute content anytime, anywhere. The Desk Investigator is responsible for alerting the newsroom to breaking news in our market and around the world so content managers can make planning and coverage decisions. The Desk Investigator must be a calm, professional, verbal communicator who can work under pressure, with colleagues/managers.
- Possesses in depth knowledge/use of social media products for news gathering/crowdsourcing purposes
- Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to handle breaking news
- Displays ability to work under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to write accurate, concise, quick “snackable” stories for mobile content utilizing SEO guidelines to increase audience engagement
- Possesses sound news judgment for all platforms—digital, radio, television, print
- Displays ability to use technology, including monitoring Tweetdeck, Social Flow, live Rangecast scanners, traffic cameras, weather radar, NWS sites, and wires for breaking news and weather conditions
- Ability to engage and communicate effectively with audiences in social media spaces, using CMG guidelines
- Ability to identify breaking news and alert newsroom staff via internal alerts
- Possesses knowledge of police codes on scanners, and possesses a key sense of what is newsworthy
- Confirms scanner traffic via phone with dispatchers, makes systematic beat check calls
- Ability to request and add elements to web stories such as compelling video, pictures, and other visual data.
- Ability to send news/weather tweets on WHIO and Stormcenter7; 1 per hour; more in breaking events
- Uses time effectively, efficiently, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work
- Must be willing to work either days, evenings, overnights or weekends—we are a 24-7 newsroom
- Displays the ability to communicate effectively with community contacts and excels at developing relationships and trust with contacts, sources and cross platform co-workers
- Stays in constant communication with Breaking News, Coordination and Digital team members
- Quickly disperses information to the Breaking News Team and pays special attention to platform deadlines and strives to meet content needs of those platforms by deadline
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with others while maintaining a positive, helpful attitude
- Handles other assignments as needed, showing flexibility and adaptability, and a calm, cool, demeanor in working with others during stressful news events
- Ability to be innovative in ways to ethically confirm breaking news stories and obtain content and visuals
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or at least 1 year of professional media, social media-digital media experience, news writing experience preferred.
- Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.