- Full Time
The nation’s largest newsroom dedicated to covering colleges and universities, The Chronicle of Higher Education produces vital journalism that drives national conversations about a sector at the heart of the American experiment. For more than 50 years, readers invested in the academic experience have turned to us for unrivaled insight into how higher education works and why it matters. The values of those readers — thoughtful, engaged, and passionate — are also the values of our company. We believe in the power of expert, morally urgent journalism. And we believe in the importance of taking innovative steps to expand the audience for, and the impact of, our award-winning work.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a creative and enthusiastic Engagement Editor to join our growing editorial audience team, which is focused on expanding the reach and deepening the impact of our journalism, our digital products, and our subscription business.
The right candidate will play a key role in driving our digital audience strategy, by finding and capitalizing on opportunities to bring in new readers, to build loyalty among current ones, and to create value for subscribers.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll contribute to The Chronicle’s stable of newsletter products through writing, editing, and refining strategy.
- You’ll own and execute The Chronicle’s social-media strategy on platforms where we have an established presence. You’ll also explore opportunities to expand our footprint to new and under-utilized platforms, in consultation with the audience team.
- You’ll find ways to better connect Chronicle reporters with readers, and engage readers on chronicle.com, through comments, live chats, and webinars.
- You’ll coach reporters and editors on how our work is resonating with our digital audiences. You’ll also identify opportunities for coverage of breaking and trending stories, and advise the newsroom on headlines and story formats that resonate.
- And you’ll do all of this while championing our standards for accuracy, fairness, and best-in-class authority on higher education.
Who you are:
- You’re a journalist who builds products and distributes essential news, finding engaging ways to attract and retain audiences.
- You have experience in an audience-engagement role for a digital publisher.
- You have demonstrated experience running social-media accounts and growing audience for a digital publisher, using metrics to inform decisions.
- You’re a creative thinker who is enthusiastic about the future of journalism and the possibilities associated with an evolving media landscape.
- You have some knowledge of higher-education issues, or you’re excited to learn them quickly.
The Chronicle is independently owned and based in Washington, D.C. Our pay is commensurate with experience, our benefits are among the best in the business, and our newsroom is recognized widely for its collegiality and commitment to the value and craft of journalism.
If you’re interested in learning more, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to introduce yourself. To that message, please attach your résumé and short descriptions of two audience-oriented projects you’ve worked on and are especially proud of. For each one, explain in a few paragraphs how the idea came about, what you contributed, and what you learned.
Apply for Engagement Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly