Public Relations Specialist
- Full Time
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer though research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing membership organization that operates in a results-focused work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes. This is an Alexandria, Virginia-based position that offers an excellent benefits package, subsidized parking or Metro benefits, and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn more about ASCO, please visit www.asco.org/jobs.
Who we are looking for:
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is seeking a highly skilled health PR professional for our Marketing and Communications Department. This position reports to the Associate Director of Science and Research Communications and manages PR activities for ASCO’s meetings, journals, and research initiatives.
What you will do:
- Develop and implement scientific press programs for news media
- Strengthen ASCO’s relationships with the media through the facilitation of reporter requests and media interviews, and by pitching story ideas and spokespeople
- Produce a range of written communications, including press releases, talking points, news articles, media pitches, social media content, content marketing materials, etc.
- Manage processes and logistics for ASCO’s scientific meetings, as well as the development of related press materials
- Oversee media relations programs for ASCO’s journals — including the production and promotion of news content — working in collaboration with study authors and cancer experts
- Manage and execute social media promotion of scientific programs and research initiatives following best practices for social media use and interaction, and ensuring accuracy of posts and content
- Facilitate development and distribution of content across ASCO’s communications and marketing vehicles, coordinating across the department to identify content of interest to media and members
- Track and analyze media coverage to identify insights that will inform our communications strategies
What you will need in order to be successful:
- Media relations experience, preferably in health PR
- Experience managing press programs and onsite press facilities at medical meetings
- A college degree, preferably in a communications or marketing related field, and minimum 5-7 years related work experience
- Drupal or other web content platform management experience, applications for researching media coverage trends
- Commitment to work within a team to meet timelines and deliverables with a strong focus on customer service
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, attention to detail
- Ability to manage own time to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work
- PR agency, non-profit sector, or professional medical society experience strongly preferred
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)