Senior Associate, Communications (Podcast)
- Full Time
The Pew Charitable Trusts uses data to make a difference. For more than 70 years, we have focused on serving the public, invigorating civic life, conducting nonpartisan research, advancing effective public policies and practices, and achieving tangible results. Through rigorous inquiry and knowledge sharing, we inform and engage public-spirited citizens and organizations, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause. We are a dedicated team of researchers, communicators, advocates, subject matter experts, and professionals working on some of today's big challenges – and we know we are more effective and creative collectively than we are individually. With Philadelphia as our home town and the majority of our staff located in Washington, D.C., our U.S. and international staff find working at Pew personally and professionally rewarding.
Wise stewardship of resources allows Pew employees to pursue work that strategically furthers our mission in significant and measurable ways. We collaborate with a diverse range of philanthropic partners, public and private organizations, and concerned citizens who share our interest in fact-based solutions and goal-driven initiatives to improve society. Pew attracts top talent, people of integrity who are service-oriented and willing to take on challenging assignments. We provide competitive pay and benefits, a healthy work-life balance, and a respectful and inclusive workplace. Pew employees are proud of their colleagues, proud of where they work, and proud of the institution's reputation.
The Communications department supports leaders at all levels of the institution to promote project and campaign efforts, inform key audiences, and protect and advance Pew's reputation. The department provides a comprehensive range of communications services for all programmatic and administrative units and Trusts-operated projects. Our in-house expertise includes: strategy and message development; editorial support; design and creative services; media event planning; digital and video production; and social media. The unit oversees all communications policies, guidelines, and processes in order to ensure production of the highest quality work and effectively steward Pew's resources.
This senior associate, communications, position is located in Washington, D.C.; is a member of the communications department on its institutional and strategy team; and reports to the manager, communications of special projects. He/she is responsible for marketing, promotion, and planning tasks related to Pew's podcast, “After the Fact.” This includes: spearheading marketing efforts for individual episodes and the podcast overall, topic and audience research, writing and editing scripts and related copy, and planning assistance to maintain a high standard of podcast content. He/she is also a key contributor to other special projects and core initiatives for the communications department.
- Develops marketing strategies externally to promote the institutional podcast and collaborates across the communications department to implement and manage promotion-related initiatives.
- Considers strategies for audience engagement to deepen impact for institutional podcast.
- Executes writing and marketing tasks related to specific episodes.
- Contributes to writing, editing, and fact-checking scripts for specific episodes.
- Writes engaging copy related to podcast episodes, including descriptions, headlines, and other promotional text.
- Develops effective news hooks for media pitches and engagement related to the podcast and specific stories.
- Responsible for collaborating with members of the team to synthesize and internally report on key performance measures related to promotional efforts for the podcast, working collaboratively within the communications department.
- Researches best practices related to podcast marketing and informs communications colleagues on relevant recommendations and updates.
- Identifies opportunities for timely content via the podcast medium and contributes ideas for new episodes.
- Acts as liaison with internal partners in support of Pew's podcast.
- Supports strategic communications planning as assigned.
- Contributes to and participates in tasks and special projects as assigned by the manager, communications and vice president, communications.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least four years of direct experience in positions with communications responsibilities, with experience as a strategic communications and/or marketing professional preferred.
- Experience in public policy or advocacy campaigns is a plus.
- Must have excellent oral communications, writing, and editing skills, with ease in expressing complex concepts and issues in a clear, effective manner for general audiences and policy experts alike.
- Experience and successful track record in pitching and engaging reporters.
- Previous experience with broadcast production or audio storytelling and marketing for these formats is a plus.
- Familiarity with the AP Stylebook and the Chicago Manual of Style, as well as basic search engine optimization practices.
- Proficient with Microsoft programs, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to work effectively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, organize time and identifies resources for projects as needed.
- Professional experience with an agency, corporation, or nonprofit organization is preferred.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changes quickly.
- Positive, solution-oriented, self-starter outlook, with comfort working individually and in groups to meet goals.
- Strong commitment to accuracy and keen attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Possess a proactive attitude to solving problems with diplomatic approach to communications with colleagues.
- Incorporate creative, outside-the-box thinking.
Minimal travel anticipated.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to maintain a good balance.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/hgjkr94mjgqg4zxg